Finding Magnitude and Direction of Force on a Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force on a charge at the origin, using Coulomb's Law and trigonometric functions. There is a disagreement on the direction of the force and the use of trigonometric functions. The final conclusion is that the force between charges C and B is attractive, not repulsive as initially thought.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

Three charges are arranged as shown in the picture I attached. Find the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin.

Homework Equations

I know that Coulomb's Law must be applied.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a force diagram with FCB pointing to the left and FAB pointing down. I've also broke the vectors into components using Coulomb's Law and added them together. By doing this, I got 2.7 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. From here what do I do to get an answer?

I know the answer is supposed to be 1.38 x 10-5 at 77.5 degrees so I need help with how to get there.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:
I've drawn a force diagram with FCB pointing to the left and FAB pointing down. I've also broke the vectors into components using Coulomb's Law and added them together. By doing this, I got 2.7 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex].
You must have made a mistake, since the resultant must have a component in the y direction. Show how you computed FCB and FAB.

FCB=[(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][cos 180][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + [(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][sin 180][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

FAB=[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][cos 270][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] +[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][sin 270][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

cheerspens said:
FCB=[(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][cos 180][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + [(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][sin 180][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

FAB=[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][cos 270][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] +[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][sin 270][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]
OK, now simplify these results by evaluating those trig functions.

I did and that's how I got 2.7x10-9[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 0[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]
Was my set up right and I went wrong somewhere in the math? I was always thinking I set it up wrong or wasn't using the right values.

Give me your values for sin(180), cos(180), sin(270), and cos(270).

sin(180) = 0
cos(180) = -1
sin(270) = -1
cos(270)=0

cheerspens said:
sin(180) = 0
cos(180) = -1
sin(270) = -1
cos(270)=0
Good. Now simplify your equations in post #3 accordingly.

What's the point of incorporating Trig functions? If you compute them individually then you get two separate forces, one along the y-axis and one along the x axis. Remember also that the force between charges A and B is repulsive, so the force you drew downwards is meant to be upwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lobezno said:
What's the point of incorporating Trig functions? If you compute them individually then you get two separate forces, one along the y-axis and one along the x axis.
While you don't need to use trig functions, there's nothing wrong with using them.
Remember also that the force between charges A and B is repulsive, so the force you drew downwards is meant to be upwards.
Charges A and B are oppositely charged, thus the force is attractive.

C and B, sorry. They'll produce an opposite charge.

What is the formula for finding the magnitude and direction of force on a charge?

The formula for finding the magnitude and direction of force on a charge is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

How do I know the direction of the force on a charge?

The direction of the force on a charge can be determined using the principle of Coulomb's law, which states that like charges repel each other and opposite charges attract each other. The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charges.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of force on a charge?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of force on a charge is Newtons (N), which is derived from the fundamental units of mass, length, and time.

Can the magnitude and direction of force on a charge be negative?

Yes, the magnitude and direction of force on a charge can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. However, in most cases, the magnitude is reported as a positive value.

Does the distance between two charges affect the magnitude of force?

Yes, the distance between two charges has a direct impact on the magnitude of force. As the distance between two charges increases, the magnitude of force decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law in Coulomb's law.