Fermentation kinetics info resources?

In summary, the individual is seeking resources to improve their homebrewing methods, and specifically looking for information on fermentation from a mathematical perspective. They receive a suggestion to post on a forum known for its strong mathematical community.
Mirin
Howdy all,

Recently I have dabbled in homebrewing mead and it turned out... drinkable at best. I am making another batch soon and want to improve my methods. I am a nuclear engineering student, so naturally I feel that something as personal, liberating, and chemically miraculous as homebrewing should be reduced to a system of simplified coupled differential equations. Sad, I know.

Can anyone point me to a resource (article, presentation, textbook) that describes fermentaion mathematically?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borek said:
Perhaps try your luck here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=468902

While this is in General Discussion, many involved are quite good at math :wink:

Thank you, if I don't get any more bites here I will move the post to that thread

1. What is fermentation kinetics?

Fermentation kinetics refers to the study of the rate and mechanism of biological processes that involve the conversion of sugars into ethanol or other products by microorganisms such as yeast. It involves the measurement and analysis of factors that affect the rate of fermentation, such as temperature, pH, and nutrient availability.

2. How is fermentation kinetics measured?

Fermentation kinetics can be measured through various techniques, such as monitoring the consumption of sugars, production of ethanol or other byproducts, and changes in cell density or biomass. These measurements can be done using instruments such as spectrophotometers, gas chromatographs, or by conducting manual sampling and analysis.

3. What are the key factors that influence fermentation kinetics?

The key factors that influence fermentation kinetics include temperature, pH, nutrient availability, oxygen levels, and the type and concentration of microorganisms used. Other factors such as agitation and the presence of inhibitors can also affect the rate of fermentation.

4. Where can I find reliable information on fermentation kinetics?

There are various resources available for reliable information on fermentation kinetics. These include scientific journals, textbooks, online databases, and research articles from reputable institutions. It is important to critically evaluate the source and ensure that the information is up-to-date and supported by evidence.

5. How can I use fermentation kinetics information in my research?

Fermentation kinetics information can be used in various research areas, such as biotechnology, food and beverage production, and biofuel production. It can help in optimizing fermentation processes, understanding the behavior of microorganisms, and predicting the production of desired products. This information can also be used to develop new fermentation strategies and improve the efficiency and productivity of these processes.