Complex conjugate of absolute exponential

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the complex conjugate of the expression (-0.5)^abs(x), with suggestions to use the definition of complex conjugation and to put the expression into complex exponential or cos + i sin notation. The conversation also included a mistake and a correction regarding the sign of the expression.
vg8open
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to solve for the complex conjugate of the following: (-0.5)^abs(x)

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of complex conjugation?? Try to apply that first on your expression.

vg8open said:
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to solve for the complex conjugate of the following: (-0.5)^abs(x)

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

abs(x), usually denoted |x|, is a nonnegative real number whether x is real or complex.

So your expression is real. Which makes its conjugate very easy to compute!

SteveL27 said:
abs(x), usually denoted |x|, is a nonnegative real number whether x is real or complex.

So your expression is real. Which makes its conjugate very easy to compute!

Not necessarily. What if x=1/4?

Char. Limit said:
Not necessarily. What if x=1/4?

Oops missed the minus sign. Thanks.

vg8open said:
Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

It's a whole lot easier if you put it into complex exponential, or even better, cos + i sin notation.

Char. Limit said:
It's a whole lot easier if you put it into complex exponential, or even better, cos + i sin notation.

I think I missing something here... Are you talking about these equations?
[tex] a^b = e^{(\ln(r) + \phi i)b} [/tex] and [tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) +i\sin(x) [/tex]

Well, by complex exponential, I just mean putting it into r e^(i theta) for some theta and r. But the cos + i sin notation I was talking about, yeah, you got it.

1. What is the definition of a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a number that has the same real part as the original number, but with the opposite sign on the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

2. What is an absolute exponential?

An absolute exponential is a complex number in the form of e^x, where x is a complex number. It is the exponential function applied to a complex number.

3. How do you find the complex conjugate of an absolute exponential?

To find the complex conjugate of an absolute exponential, you simply take the complex conjugate of the original number. For example, if you have e^(3+4i), the complex conjugate would be e^(3-4i).

4. What is the significance of the complex conjugate of an absolute exponential?

The complex conjugate of an absolute exponential is important in mathematical computations and in solving certain equations. It allows for simplification of complex expressions and helps in finding solutions to equations involving complex numbers.

5. Can the complex conjugate of an absolute exponential be a real number?

Yes, the complex conjugate of an absolute exponential can be a real number if the original number is also a real number. In this case, the imaginary part would be 0, resulting in a real number as the complex conjugate.