Constant potential inside spherical shell

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a charge inside a spherical shell made of a perfect conductor. It is mentioned that the potential is constant inside the shell, meaning there is no electric field and no net electric force acting on the charge. The conversation concludes that the charge would simply move at a constant velocity if pushed, assuming no other outside forces are present.
physicsjock
Hey,

I just wanted to double check if what I am thinking is correct.

Say you have a spherical shell of inner radius R1, and outer radius R2, which is made of a perfect conductor carrying a charge q1.

E=0 inside (r<R1) (and also between R1<r<R2 but not worried about that)

So the potential inside the shell is constant.

Now, say there is another charge centered inside the shell,

Is it correct to think that the charge remains in its position as the potential inside the shell is constant?

So if you were to bump the charge slightly (very slightly so its barely moving) it would simply move in the direction it was pushed at a constant velocity? And this is because the potential is constant within the shell so there is no other force acting on the charge?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsjock said:
Hey,

I just wanted to double check if what I am thinking is correct.

Say you have a spherical shell of inner radius R1, and outer radius R2, which is made of a perfect conductor carrying a charge q1.

E=0 inside (r<R1) (and also between R1<r<R2 but not worried about that)

So the potential inside the shell is constant.

Now, say there is another charge centered inside the shell,

Is it correct to think that the charge remains in its position as the potential inside the shell is constant?

So if you were to bump the charge slightly (very slightly so its barely moving) it would simply move in the direction it was pushed at a constant velocity? And this is because the potential is constant within the shell so there is no other force acting on the charge?
Well, there's no net electric force acting on the charge; but there's no evidence about any other forces that may or may not be acting (gravitational, inertial).

Yea fair enough, I didn't mention any other forces.

I was just trying to understand constant potential a little better.

Disregarding any other outside forces, is it correct to say since the potential is constant (no force acting), if the charge inside the spherical shell were pushed it would simply move in the direction it was pushed at a constant velocity (assuming it was only pushed a very small amount)?

physicsjock said:
Yea fair enough, I didn't mention any other forces.

I was just trying to understand constant potential a little better.

Disregarding any other outside forces, is it correct to say since the potential is constant (no force acting), if the charge inside the spherical shell were pushed it would simply move in the direction it was pushed at a constant velocity (assuming it was only pushed a very small amount)?
Yes, it is true for "mundane" scenarios (non relativistic velocities).

I'll just point out that a constant potential means a zero electric field, since the field is the gradient of the potential. No field means no force.

Scientist

Hello Scientist, yes, your understanding is correct. Inside a spherical shell with a constant potential, the electric field is zero, which means there is no force acting on any charge inside the shell. Therefore, if you were to bump a charge inside the shell, it would continue to move at a constant velocity in the direction it was pushed, as there are no other forces acting on it. This is a result of Gauss's law, which states that the electric field inside a conductor is zero. Keep up the good thinking!

1. What is a constant potential inside a spherical shell?

A constant potential inside a spherical shell refers to a situation where the electric potential within the shell remains the same at all points, regardless of the distance from the center of the shell. This is possible because the electric field inside a conductive shell is zero.

2. Why is the potential constant inside a spherical shell?

The potential is constant inside a spherical shell because the electric field inside a conductor is zero. This means that there is no net movement of charge inside the shell, and therefore the potential remains the same at all points.

3. How is the electric potential inside a spherical shell calculated?

The electric potential inside a spherical shell is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

4. Does the constant potential inside a spherical shell apply to both positive and negative charges?

Yes, the constant potential inside a spherical shell applies to both positive and negative charges. This is because the electric field inside a conductor is zero, regardless of the type of charge present.

5. What are some real-life examples of a constant potential inside a spherical shell?

One example of a constant potential inside a spherical shell is a metal ball that is charged and has an electric field of zero inside. Another example is a charged metal sphere used in electrostatic demonstrations, where the electric potential remains the same at all points inside the sphere.