Need Help Understanding Angular Resolution

In summary: The formula is C/D where C is the diameter of the telescope and D is the diameter of the object being viewed. The constant is just a conversion factor to make the numbers come out right for the units you're using (arcseconds, microns, meters).
zoiberg137
When calculating angular resolution, is it correct that having a SMALLER number results in GREATER angular resolution? For example, is 26.25" better resolution than 2625"?

Using the formula .25"(lambda in micrometre/diamter in meters), it would make sense to me that the larger the diameter, the smaller the answer, thus the greater the resolution. I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.

Also, out of curiosity, why are we multiplying by .25"? This is the formula my book gives me...but is this always a constant for this formula?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, the number gets smaller with better resolution. Think of it this way - the angular resolution tells you the minimum angular separation at which two point sources could be resolved, or in other words, seen without blurring together.

In your example, an angular resolution of 26.25" means that two point sources 26 arcseconds apart could barely be resolved.

The constant is just a conversion factor to make the numbers come out right for the units you're using (arcseconds, microns, meters).

The general formula is sinθ = 1.22λ/D - the 1.22 comes from the circular geometry of a point source being imaged by a telescope.

zoiberg137 said:
When calculating angular resolution, is it correct that having a SMALLER number results in GREATER angular resolution? For example, is 26.25" better resolution than 2625"?

Using the formula .25"(lambda in micrometre/diamter in meters), it would make sense to me that the larger the diameter, the smaller the answer, thus the greater the resolution. I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.

Also, out of curiosity, why are we multiplying by .25"? This is the formula my book gives me...but is this always a constant for this formula?

Thanks!

You may have been 'thrown' by the use of the English language, I think. The word "higher" means 'better' in this context and does not mean a bigger number of minutes of arc.
It is used more in the sense of 'pixels per inch' - as with TV monitors and printers, where 'more' means better resolution.

1. What is angular resolution?

Angular resolution is a measure of the smallest angle that a telescope or other optical instrument can distinguish between two objects that are close together in the sky. It is also known as spatial resolution or resolving power.

2. How is angular resolution calculated?

The angular resolution of an optical instrument is determined by the ratio of the wavelength of the light being observed to the diameter of the instrument's aperture. The smaller the ratio, the higher the angular resolution.

3. Why is angular resolution important?

Angular resolution is important because it allows us to see fine details of objects that are far away. It is crucial in astronomy, where it helps us observe distant stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies with more clarity and precision.

4. How does angular resolution differ from spatial resolution?

Angular resolution and spatial resolution are essentially the same concept, but they are used in different fields. Angular resolution is typically used in astronomy, while spatial resolution is used in other fields such as microscopy and photography.

5. What factors can affect angular resolution?

The main factor that affects angular resolution is the diameter of the instrument's aperture. Other factors include atmospheric turbulence, the quality of the optics, and the wavelength of the light being observed.