How does the Circadian clock work in insects like flies?

In summary, the conversation discusses the biological and chemical properties of a fly's circadian clock and how it is governed by a feedback loop involving transcription factors and proteins. Light also plays a role in regulating the clock. The person asking the question is seeking a better understanding of these mechanics and their potential for modification. However, it is noted that they have asked the same questions multiple times and have not acknowledged previous answers.
nukeman
Hey all!

I am having a hard time finding a few specific answers, so thought I would give you biology nutz a question :)

A insect, more specifically, a fly...Can anyone explain the biological/chemical properties of a flies circadian clock? What governs a flies biological clock in terms of its biology ?

Possibly try and answer this based on the knowledge I don't know much about Biology :) and also, in terms of if someone wanted to "adjust or modify" a flies circadian clock.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Which clock?

Pythagorean said:
Which clock?

Dammn :)

I will have to ask the people who said it. They simply said that:

"Deuterium has been shown to slow down the circadian clock (rythm) of flies"

I want to understand the biological mechanics that govern a fly.

It's complex, but simply stated it's a feedback loop. There are transcription factors (Clock, cycle) that bind DNA and stimulate the expression of proteins (Period, Timeless), these inhibit the transcription factors (feedback loop).

The accumulation of Period of Timeless marks one period of the clock, the degradation of the proteins the other. Light plays a major role in the degradation of the protein Timeless. More info here: http://www.sdbonline.org/fly/neural/timeless.htm

1) How does the Circadian clock in insects work?

The Circadian clock in insects, specifically flies, is a complex system of molecular and cellular processes that regulate an organism's daily rhythms. These rhythms include behaviors such as sleep, feeding, and reproduction.

2) What is the role of the Circadian clock in insects?

The Circadian clock in insects is responsible for synchronizing an organism's internal biological processes with the external environment. This allows insects to anticipate and adapt to daily changes in their surroundings, such as light and temperature.

3) How does the Circadian clock in insects respond to environmental cues?

The Circadian clock in insects responds to environmental cues, such as light and temperature, through a process called entrainment. This involves resetting the clock to match the external cues and maintain a 24-hour cycle.

4) Can the Circadian clock in insects be disrupted?

Yes, the Circadian clock in insects can be disrupted by external factors such as changes in light or temperature, as well as genetic mutations. Disruptions can lead to altered daily rhythms and behaviors in insects.

5) How is the Circadian clock in insects studied?

The Circadian clock in insects is studied through a combination of genetic, molecular, and behavioral experiments. This involves identifying key genes and proteins involved in the clock, as well as observing changes in behavior and physiology under different environmental conditions.