Convert a moment KNm to N/mm^2?

In summary, to convert the given moment value of 921.84 KNm to cm^3, you need to divide it by 275 N/mm^2 and then multiply by (100cm/1m)^3. This will result in a value of 3,365,096.73 cm^3. Remember to always carry units along in calculations and cancel out appropriately to get the final answer in the desired units.
escobar147
I have a moment value: 921.84 KNm which I have to divide by a stress: 275 N/mm^2

What conversion could I do to get this in the form of cm^3?
3 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are dividing a moment by a stress?

You've got kiloNewtons and Newtons, meters and millimeters. Figure out how you get from one to the other in both of those cases. Choose a length unit and figure out how to get that to centimeters.

escobar147 said:
I have a moment value: 921.84 KNm which I have to divide by a stress: 275 N/mm^2

What conversion could I do to get this in the form of cm^3?
3 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.

The easiest way to do unit conversions is to multiply by "1", where the "1" has the starting units in the denominator, and the target final units in the numerator.

So to convert from meters to cm, I would multiply by 100cm/1m = 1.

To convert from m^2 to cm^2, I would multiply by (100cm/1m)^2 = 1^2 = 1.

Units can cancel out when they appear in both the numerator and denominator, so that's why it's a good habit to carry your units along in your calculations, and cancel as appropriate to get the final answer's value and units together.

Make sense? Show us how to use this trick in your problem...

1. What is the conversion factor for converting KNm to N/mm^2?

The conversion factor for converting KNm (kilonewton-meter) to N/mm^2 (newton per square millimeter) is 1000. This means that 1 KNm is equal to 1000 N/mm^2.

2. How do I convert a moment KNm to N/mm^2?

To convert a moment KNm to N/mm^2, you need to multiply the KNm value by 1000. The resulting value will be in N/mm^2.

3. What is the difference between KNm and N/mm^2?

KNm and N/mm^2 are both units of measurement for force and pressure, respectively. KNm measures the moment of a force, while N/mm^2 measures the pressure exerted by a force per unit area.

4. Can I convert Nm to N/mm^2?

No, you cannot directly convert Nm (newton-meter) to N/mm^2. Nm measures torque, while N/mm^2 measures pressure. However, you can convert Nm to KNm and then use the conversion factor of 1000 to convert KNm to N/mm^2.

5. What are some real-world applications of converting KNm to N/mm^2?

Converting KNm to N/mm^2 is commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and stability of structures. It is also used in material testing to measure the tensile and compressive strength of materials.