I am hearing voices

by Aero51
Tags: hearing, voices
jim mcnamara
Aug19-13, 07:28 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,354
Sensory deprivation does that. I thought the thread was on about being alone in a quiet time and hearing things.
Things that are not actually there.

Drugs do that as well - meaning psychoactive prescription drugs. My wife died from Alzheimers; during the last months was prescribed valproic acid - a drug from 100 years ago. It was first synthesized in 1882. It helped her, but induced auditory hallucinations.
Viracocha
Aug22-13, 06:06 PM
P: 36
Whisper voices to the voices so they hear voices and go crazy and stop speaking to you
Flatland
Sep3-13, 02:34 AM
P: 150
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
I've noticed when I'm in complete silence, like when I was a kid hiding in a closet, I start to hear a high pitched sound.
Wouldn't that be tinnitus?
Aero51
Sep3-13, 04:05 AM
P: 546
Whisper voices to the voices so they hear voices and go crazy and stop speaking to you
Funny thing, I was half dozing off when I started to hear this amazing jazz music. I was enjoying it quite a bit when all of a sudden I said "where is this coming from" and I shot right up scared to death.
Sauce1800
Sep3-13, 04:01 PM
P: 4
Wow, I thought I was going crazy. Thank god it's a common occurance
Evo
Sep3-13, 08:22 PM
Mentor
P: 25,926
Quote Quote by Sauce1800 View Post
Wow, I thought I was going crazy. Thank god it's a common occurance
I think you misunderstand, hearing things that aren't there (auditory hallucinations) is not common and can be a sign of something wrong with your brain. If you are hearing things that are not there, you should see a doctor.

A paracusia, or auditory hallucination,[1] is a form of hallucination that involves perceiving sounds without auditory stimulus. A common form involves hearing one or more talking voices. This may be associated with psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia or mania, and holds special significance in diagnosing these conditions.[2] However, individuals may hear voices without suffering from diagnosable mental illness.[3]

There are three main categories into which the condition can often fall: a person hearing a voice speak one's thoughts, a person hearing one or more voices arguing, or a person hearing a voice narrating his/her own actions.[4] These three categories do not account for all types of auditory hallucinations.

Other types of auditory hallucination include exploding head syndrome and musical ear syndrome. In the latter, people will hear music playing in their mind, usually songs they are familiar with. Reports have also mentioned that it is also possible to get musical hallucinations from listening to music for long periods of time.[5][dead link] This can be caused by: lesions on the brain stem (often resulting from a stroke); also, tumors, encephalitis, or abscesses.[6] Other reasons include hearing loss and epileptic activity.[7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_hallucination

The OP is about medical sensory deprivation though.
zoobyshoe
Sep4-13, 02:51 PM
P: 5,616
If anyone's interested, Oliver Sacks wrote a mind-boggling overview of everything remotely connected to music and brain pathology: Musicophilia. It's guaranteed the average reader will never have heard of most of the strange musical/neurological phenomena described.

Register to reply