What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #4,936
Evo said:
Oh, you have to get REALLY EXPENSIVE goat cheese, goats that live in a day spa, eat only flower blossoms, get their nails done, sea mud massages, Yanni music.

Even then, you take only a small dab of goat cheese from milk collected on a leisurely Sunday afternoon, after a ride through the country (the goat, not you). Be sure to do Dolphin Rainbow Chakra cleansing over the cheese daily.

:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #4,937
About ready to go back to bed. I woke up hungry and had to fix up a mess of scrambled eggs. If you like scrambled eggs, learn to fix them while you are awake so that you can fix them when you are half-asleep. I don't ever want dry, rubbery scrambled eggs. If they are not moist and fluffy, count me out.

• #4,938
I picked a couple of apples today. I peeled and cored them, then reduced them in a pan with dark muscovado sugar, cinnamon, a little water and a splash of brandy. I had that with a large spoonful of extra thick double cream on top.

• #4,939
skyshrimp said:
I picked a couple of apples today. I peeled and cored them, then reduced them in a pan with dark muscovado sugar, cinnamon, a little water and a splash of brandy. I had that with a large spoonful of extra thick double cream on top.
Sounds wonderful!

• #4,940
It's kind of a stretch putting this in The Food Thread, but ah well.

My husband and I just made our first two batches of hard apple cider. I'm not one to brag but dang they turned out really good :!)!

The last step in cider making is mixing. Once the apple juice is fully fermented and developed, all the sugar has been transformed into alcohol (thanks, yeasties!) and it's dry, dry, dry. Like the driest champagne. Some people like it like that, but most find it undrinkable.

So the last step is mixing, to make a palatable drink. You mix the fermented cider with any number of ingredients, usually apple juice concentrate, sugar, pear juice, berry juice...use your imagination!

It's not carbonated at this step, we have to buy some stuff to do that.

We came up with several mixes we like. Fun hobby!

• #4,941
lisab said:
It's kind of a stretch putting this in The Food Thread, but ah well.

My husband and I just made our first two batches of hard apple cider. I'm not one to brag but dang they turned out really good :!)!

The last step in cider making is mixing. Once the apple juice is fully fermented and developed, all the sugar has been transformed into alcohol (thanks, yeasties!) and it's dry, dry, dry. Like the driest champagne. Some people like it like that, but most find it undrinkable.

So the last step is mixing, to make a palatable drink. You mix the fermented cider with any number of ingredients, usually apple juice concentrate, sugar, pear juice, berry juice...use your imagination!

It's not carbonated at this step, we have to buy some stuff to do that.

We came up with several mixes we like. Fun hobby!
How fun, making your own booze!

• #4,942
Awesome. Save some for New Years Chat lisab.

• #4,943
Here's something new. At least for me. It's a pickled hot & sweet salsa.

Veggies
7 lbs (before coring) - Jalapenos
2½ lbs - Red Onions
1 lb - Yellow Onions
~3 lb (after pealing & dicing) - Tomatoes
4 big - Bell Peppers

Pickle Stuff
9½ cups - White Vinegar (5% acid)
14 cups - Sugar
4 cups - Water
2 pouches - Mrs. Wages Sweet Pickle Mix

The time consuming part was coring the Jalapenos. Otherwise it was real easy to make; although it does still have to age for 24 hrs. Anyway, put Pickle Stuff in large pot and bring to boil. Remove from heat and put in Veggies; gently mixing in tomatoes last. That's it. I sampled it before covering and I'm wanting more as I type. Here's before and after pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #4,944
It looks great. I've never had sweetened jalapenos before.

• #4,945
Yea. Me either. It was an experiment. It tasted really good so I'm hoping that after it ages/pickles it will be even tastier. I should be able to refrigerate and freeze since I don't want to bring the heat back up for canning. The crispiness is what I'm trying to achieve.

• #4,946
dlgoff said:
I should be able to refrigerate and freeze since I don't want to bring the heat back up for canning. The crispiness is what I'm trying to achieve.
I let them stay in the pickle stuff for ~48 hours and it really helped bring out the heat. I didn't core the smallest peppers.

I decided to go ahead and hot-water can them; it didn't effect the crispiness. It's more like hot & sweet relish instead of salsa. Here's the results.

• #4,947
I've been imagining having a blending diet sometime in the future when I can afford to eat better. I almost don't think I'll ever have the cash flow though. I think it is a shame that the food people eat is usually the unhealthiest through out all of their life in the years before, during or just after child rearing years. I personally think good food is important most through personality development and when a person might have kids. Even though I think this, I haven't radically changed my eating habits, but only in small ways (too poor to buy sweets/extras). So I've been dreaming or craving a diet for the future.
I would want a lot of veggies, say cucumbers and bells and leafy things and tomatoes, you know, what ever kind of vegatable is handy or cheap at the time. And also to add some fruits, which I don't peel if the peel is edible. Does anyone else not peel Kiwi or Mango? So have like a veggie and fruit blend, and maybe eat fish or nuts on the side. I'd even consider eating horrible tasting stuff, but blended foods may surprisde you for how tasty things may be that look like and sound like complete crud!
I had a blended drink of two sticks of celery, a large tomatoe or open hand of cherry tomatoes, at least 4 cups of spring mix lettuce, about 80-100g of carrot, an apple or bannana, and whatever else may be around the kitchen, for about a week before I left my home and the house blender, and generally felt at least a little bit better than before, or I do now.

• #4,948
dlgoff said:
I let them stay in the pickle stuff for ~48 hours and it really helped bring out the heat. I didn't core the smallest peppers.

I decided to go ahead and hot-water can them; it didn't effect the crispiness. It's more like hot & sweet relish instead of salsa. Here's the results.
Looks great, dlg. My garden is not coming in all that well (too much rain), so I might not be able to make salsa this year. Hot peppers like hot, dry weather and sun. I've still got some left from previous years, and ought to be able to get by.

• #4,949
dlgoff said:
It's more like hot & sweet relish instead of salsa. Here's the results.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8826/wdqp.jpg

It worked great as relish. Here's lunch.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9952/xznc.jpg

• #4,950
Yumm!

• #4,951
Looks perfect, Don. I like my dogs cooked just that way: a bit of char but still juicy.

• #4,952
lisab said:
Looks perfect, Don. I like my dogs cooked just that way: a bit of char but still juicy.
Oh yeah, looks like a nice crispy bit, not burned, just a great char.

• #4,953
Do any PFers have experience with cooking ostrich? My husband has a long tradition of cooking non-traditional Thanksgiving meals. This year we're considering ostrich. I've had it in restaurants but I've never cooked it.

Has anyone here cooked or eaten it?

• #4,954
lisab said:
Do any PFers have experience with cooking ostrich? My husband has a long tradition of cooking non-traditional Thanksgiving meals. This year we're considering ostrich. I've had it in restaurants but I've never cooked it.

Oh my, I've never even eaten it.

• #4,955
lisab said:

I've eaten just about every wild game in the Midwest and I would imagine it would be similar to cooking as a whitetail deer's leg or rump roast. According to http://www.ostriches.org/cooking.html,

Ostrich meat contains little fat, therefore it does cook differently than beef. Tender cuts should be grilled, broiled or fired. For best taste, the meat should not be cooked more than a medium doneness (145-160 degrees on a meat thermometer.) A moist heat cooking method is suggested for those that prefer meat that is well done, because of the lack of fat the meat will be dry and tough. Less tender cuts (such as the drum) should be prepared using a moist cooking method such as roasting. Ostrich works very well with recipes that call for cooking meats with vegetables. Most cuts of ostrich will cook in a little less time than a similar size cut of beef, and lesser quantities of spices are needed for the same flavor.

• #4,956
making perfect pizza

how to make a perfect pizza for pennies rather than takeouts
the truth is the ingredients used by most takeout/ frozen shop brought is fairly poor . making your own dough is simple easy and quick but needs time to allow dough to raise alittle ( your not making bread so you don't have to keep bashing it about /mixing it ) just mix it with a knife leave it an hour then spread it out .
ok so you need some kind of cheese some kind of sauce (passata 50 p ) curry sauce , whatever
ham /chicken etc etc,, origan !
ok here is the golden information !
youve spread the dough out ?
now put it under the grill = watch it don't let it burn let it brown alittle
now take it out = TURN it over don't burn yourself
now add you sauce veg sausage cheese etc
put it back under the grill
so there you are,,,, i think perfect pizza and so cheap

• #4,957
Pea soup kind of day here.

• #4,958
hypatia said:
Hey hypatia! Great to see you!

• #4,959
Thanks. Lots of change going on for me, but my soup is a constant.

• #4,960
Oh how did I not see this thread earlier...I love food! Here are some squid ink tagliatelle with calamari that I just made:

squid-ink-pasta-with-calamari-completed-dish2.jpg

squid-ink-pasta-basil-pasta.jpg

• #4,961
Wow, Danago, that looks awesome!

• #4,962
hypatia said:

hypatia! Pea soup! Two wonderful things come into my mind on this dreary day :smile:!

• #4,963
danago said:
Oh how did I not see this thread earlier...I love food! Here are some squid ink tagliatelle with calamari that I just made:

So, can you actually taste squid ink, or is it just for color?

• #4,964
Evo said:
Wow, Danago, that looks awesome!

lisab said:
So, can you actually taste squid ink, or is it just for color?

It has a very mild taste and smell of the sea, however once the pasta is cooked and mixed with basil, parsley, chili, olive oil, garlic, etc. it becomes pretty undetectable, so in this case I'd say just for colour.

I'm putting the recipe up on my website soon :smile:

• #4,965
My throw-together chocolate stack with an espresso. Layers of chocolate biscuit, salted peanuts, caramel, chocolate mousse, shortbread biscuit and finally a layer of Lindt Piccoli couverture chocolate. Lucky I exercise regularly :smile:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1461242_352577821552937_563625171_n.jpg

• #4,966
Oh my! You are quite a cook!

• #4,967
Evo said:
Oh my! You are quite a cook!

I probably spend too much time in the kitchen haha. I must say, though, that it is probably one of the most useful skills I have ever learned.

• #4,968
danago said:
I probably spend too much time in the kitchen haha. I must say, though, that it is probably one of the most useful skills I have ever learned.
I used to love cooking, and still am very interested in it. When I see tv shows (like yesterday) with "supposed chefs" and they don't even know what molasses is, I just kind of die inside. How can someone have the nerve to call themselves a chef and they don't even know basic ingredients?

• #4,969
danago said:
Lucky I exercise regularly :smile:
'Looks like you know your way around a camera too. Those are excellent photographs of your food!

• #4,970
Evo said:
I used to love cooking, and still am very interested in it. When I see tv shows (like yesterday) with "supposed chefs" and they don't even know what molasses is, I just kind of die inside. How can someone have the nerve to call themselves a chef and they don't even know basic ingredients?

Haha I guess the same could be said about a lot of professions :P This is why I love chefs like Heston Blumenthal and Harold McGee, because they make a serious effort to know their professions very well (I guess this is the engineer in me speaking :smile:).

collinsmark said:
'Looks like you know your way around a camera too. Those are excellent photographs of your food!

Thanks :smile: I actually only recently bought a camera for my upcoming Europe travels so I am still trying to learn and practice as much as I can, and still consider myself very amateur. It's a lot of fun though, trying to compose a scene so that it makes the food somewhat attractive.