Multivitamins a waste of money?

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: money, multivitamins, waste
Pythagorean
Feb3-14, 09:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
I think the point Monique was making about balanced diets is that "normal" is defined differently for different ethnic and cultural groups and it's worthwhile being aware of deficiencies, not that you should take supplements.

To me, that means food selection: try to include more vitamin D rich foods in your diet. Speaking of which, did the meta-analysis mention anything about the efficacy of Vitamin D fortification? Or can you even draw conclusions about fortification from supplementation?
edward
Feb4-14, 10:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 861
It all comes back to that well balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables....or does it? Our fresh produce just doesn't have the nutrients that it did 50 years ago.

The main culprit in this disturbing nutritional trend is soil depletion: Modern intensive agricultural methods have stripped increasing amounts of nutrients from the soil in which the food we eat grows. Sadly, each successive generation of fast-growing, pest-resistant carrot is truly less good for you than the one before.

A landmark study on the topic by Donald Davis and his team of researchers from the University of Texas (UT) at Austin’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry was published in December 2004 in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition. They studied U.S. Department of Agriculture nutritional data from both 1950 and 1999 for 43 different vegetables and fruits, finding “reliable declines” in the amount of protein, calcium, phosphorus, iron, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and vitamin C over the past half century. Davis and his colleagues chalk up this declining nutritional content to the preponderance of agricultural practices designed to improve traits (size, growth rate, pest resistance) other than nutrition.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...utrition-loss/

The good new is that people are eating more than we used to which one would think should help some what. The bad news is we are eating too much fat in the form of oils.

If we compare the current American diet with our diets forty years ago, we find similar levels of sugars, amino acids, and total fats, but the amounts of the two types of omega fats have changed very dramatically. In a natural diet of grains, meat, dairy foods, fruits, and vegetables, there is a bit more omega-6 than omega-3, but today there is more than twenty-times more omega-6 than omega-3. This shift in the proportion of these different fats is by far the biggest change in our diets over the past forty years.
Bold mine.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...h-more-we-used

All of the TV doctors say cut down on processed food but that is where all of the synthetic vitamins are.

OK OK I can only assume that despite the fact that farm grown foods are less nutritious (see above) we don't need to take vitamins or minerals because they are ever present in the processed foods we shouldn't eat. There is a contradiction in there somewhere. I love nitrates.
edward
Feb4-14, 10:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 861
Here is a good starting point. Your mileage may vary.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/list-all/

Register to reply