How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

by bluemoonKY
Tags: anal, fissure, spasm, sphincter
bluemoonKY
Feb2-14, 12:03 PM
P: 33
I have an anal fissure. When I have a bowel movement, I don't feel any pain while I'm having the bowel movement or even a few minutes later. I start to feel pain about 30 minutes after the bowel movement. I have researched this on the internet, and I have discovered that my delayed pain after a bowel movement is a result of my anal sphincter spasming. This delayed pain after a bowel movement as a result of anal sphincter spasms is apparently fairly common with anal fissures.

What I don't understand is why would a bowel movement cause the anal sphincter to spasm.

When a person has an anal fissure, why does his or her anal sphincter spasm after a bowel movement?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Chronic inflammation linked to 'high-grade' prostate cancer
Impact of childhood bullying still evident after 40 years
Is UK shale gas extraction posing a risk to public health?
prashant
Feb6-14, 11:42 AM
P: 2
The spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphinters,that is a part of reflex arc,due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm.This is a protective reflex,infact dre and proctoscopy is contraindicated in this medical condition.
bluemoonKY
Feb22-14, 08:08 PM
prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

bluemoonKY
Feb22-14, 08:08 PM

How does an anal fissure cause the anal sphincter to spasm?

What is a reflex arc?
boit
Mar5-14, 11:15 AM
P: 41
Quote Quote by bluemoonKY View Post
What is a reflex arc?

We think all actions are results from signals send from the brain. That's not always the case. Other originate from the spinal cord. A reflex is purely mediated through the spinal cord.
boit
Mar5-14, 10:22 PM
P: 41
Quote Quote by bluemoonKY View Post
prasant, you started "the spasm is actually caused by action of contraction of sphincters." Well, yeah, a spasm is a contraction. That does not explain anything to me. Then you said the contraction of sphincters is part of a reflex arc, due to the highly sensitive sensory action of fissured anoderm. What in the nation does that mean?

It means that if I suffer brain death, my anal sphincter will still suffer spasm whenever I have bowel motions or when a doctor does a digital rectal exam on me. I won't feel the pain though cause I'll be brain dead remember? :)

Register to reply