Is the SKIP Function in Sony's DVD Architect Causing Problems?

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DVD Architect for creating DVD menus, and the problem with the SKIP function not working properly. The speakers express their frustration and hope for a solution from tech support.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I know that there's a 3.0 version, but I have 2.0 and unless someone can convince me this problem doesn't exist in 3.0, or if I'm actually missing something, I'm going to stick with it.

I do movie editing. I create them using Sony Vegas 5.0, and then save them as avi files. So I have more than one titles (typically 4 or 5).

Now, having used Pinnacle before, when creating a menu for the DVD movie, one simply needs to link each button (or animated frame) to each of the titles. So if you have 5 titles, you have 5 buttons on your menu. This will allow you to either start with the top of the menu, or jump to a particular title (ignore using chapters inside a title for now). If you hit the SKIP button on your remote, it goes automatically to the next title, as expected. Also, with a little fiddling, when one title ends, it automatically start the next one down the line. Everything's fine and dandy.

However, I seem to be having a major problem with DVD Architect. When I started it to play (this is after I render the movie onto a DVD), it will play the first title, and continue playing the next title (since I linked the End Action command to the next one down the menu), but then, if you tried to hit the SKIP button, it won't go to the next title! One can hit the MENU button and then select the next title, or any of the title, and that works fine. But if you viewing Title 2, let's say, and you want to skip that and go to Title 3, it just won't allow it.

Needless to say, I have looked almost everywhere to see where this is disabled. All I can see is that the SKIP function is ON, and everything seems to be kosher. And get this, in the Preview Mode of DVD Architect, the control for viewing is a device that looks like a remote control. If I hit the skip button of the Preview Mode, it WORKS! It does skip to the next title, just as I wanted. However, when I render it to a DVD disk, and play it on a DVD player (either on my PC or in my home theater), it just won't let me skip to the next one. I have to go to the DVD menu and select the next title from there.

I'm hoping that there's a remote chance that someone here also uses DVD Architect. It is such a good software otherwise, and it has an identical interface as Vegas, so it feels familiar and intuitive to me. But this problem is getting annoying.

Zz.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi. I just bought Sony DVD Architect and I experienced the same exact problem. I just sent a tech inquiry to their tech support. If I get a response, I will post it here.

Such a great program with crystal clear video, yet a faulty SKIP feature will turn my clients OFF. Too bad...I thought I thought I was golden.

Bye for now. Cally

I cannot provide a definitive answer on the issue without conducting a thorough investigation and analysis of the problem. However, based on the information provided, it seems that there may be a glitch or bug in the SKIP function of Sony's DVD Architect 2.0. It is possible that this issue has been addressed and resolved in the 3.0 version, but without further evidence or confirmation, it is difficult to say for sure.

In terms of your specific use case, it seems that the SKIP function is working in the Preview Mode of DVD Architect, but not when the movie is rendered onto a DVD and played on a DVD player. This could indicate a compatibility issue between the software and the DVD player. It is also possible that there is a setting or option that needs to be adjusted in order for the SKIP function to work properly.

I would recommend reaching out to Sony's technical support team for assistance in troubleshooting the issue. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or offer a solution to the problem. Additionally, reaching out to other users of DVD Architect may also provide some insights or potential solutions.

In conclusion, it seems that there may be a problem with the SKIP function in DVD Architect 2.0, but without further investigation or confirmation, it is difficult to say for sure. I would suggest seeking assistance from Sony or other users to resolve the issue.

1. What is Sony's DVD Architect 2.0?

Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 is a software program designed for creating and authoring professional-looking DVDs and Blu-ray discs. It allows users to import video and audio files, add menus and chapters, and create custom navigation for their DVD projects.

2. What are the system requirements for using Sony's DVD Architect 2.0?

The minimum system requirements for Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 are a 2 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, and 500 MB of free hard drive space. It is compatible with Windows operating systems including Windows 7, 8, and 10.

3. Can I use Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 to burn my DVD projects onto discs?

Yes, Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 has the capability to burn finished projects onto DVD or Blu-ray discs. It also allows users to create disc images and save them onto their hard drive.

4. Is Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 user-friendly for beginners?

While Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 has advanced features for professional use, it also has a user-friendly interface that is easy for beginners to navigate. The software includes tutorials and help guides to assist users in creating their first DVD project.

5. Are there any additional features included in Sony's DVD Architect 2.0?

Yes, in addition to DVD and Blu-ray authoring, Sony's DVD Architect 2.0 also has the ability to create interactive DVD menus, add subtitles and multiple audio tracks, and even includes a built-in disc label creation tool. It also allows for customization of video and audio settings for optimal playback quality.