Some problems(electric field.electric potential)

• Thread starter maria curie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary,The electric field between the two cylindrical shells of equal charge densities is zero. The electric field outside the larger cylindrical shell is greater.
maria curie
please help mee, I have an exam tomorrow:cry:
1) Two long,thin cylindirical shells of radii r1 and r2,respectively,are oriented coaxially (one cylindwer is centered inside the other).The cylinders carry equal and opposite linear charge densities lambda ,describe the resulting electric field inside the smaller cylinder ,btween the cylinders,and outside the larger cylinder.
2)Two large ,thin metallic plates are placed parallel to each other ,seperated by 11 cm.The top plate carries a uniform charge density of 6.5*10(-6).While the bottom plate carries a uniform charge density of -4.8*10(-6)C.What is the electric field halfway btw plates?
an the last one
3)A solid sphere of radius R has uniform charge density p(rho).Calculate the total potential energy by calculating the energy required to bring a spherical shell of thickness dr and charge density p(rho) from infinity to a distance r from the sphere's center in the potential due to a uniformly charged sphere of radius r.
:cry: ı didnt understand especially the last one.do we use rho in the shell??:confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
heyy:cry: I am not an idiot..I tried to solve the first one.. but I don't know true or false,I have some opinions about the third one, but I couldn't understand why rho is given for spherical shell, Isn't is used in volumetric shape (I want to mean that ..for instance rho *4pi/3*r3=Q for sphere..) .BUT, in this question 'shell' is mentioned...Maybe I couldn't imagine the shape of the question..that's all I hope there is anybody who can understand what I said . :redface: because english is not my mother tongue ,is only my universtiy language.. THANKS ...

What equations should you use for calculating the electric field and electric potential given some charge distribution? How did you set up these equations for these geometries?

gauss' law for electric field,
especially the third question is confused mee. ooh ..hmm E.dA=Q/e0 ok ı know..for shell what can ı do? dQ=RHO*4*Pİ*r2*dr ı didnt understand this equation.isnt rho used for 3D shapes? is shell 2D isn't it?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is represented by a vector quantity that indicates the direction and strength of the force.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by electrically charged particles, such as electrons or protons. These particles have an inherent electric charge, which exerts a force on other charged particles in their vicinity, creating an electric field.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol V and is measured in volts (V).

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field at a given point. This means that as the electric field increases, so does the electric potential. The relationship can be expressed as V = Ed, where V is electric potential, E is electric field, and d is the distance between the two points.

5. What are some common problems involving electric field and electric potential?

Some common problems involving electric field and electric potential include calculating the electric field strength at a given point, determining the electric potential difference between two points, and finding the work done by an electric field on a charged particle as it moves through the field.