Field resulting from line charge

In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the electric field at the origin due to a continuous line of charge with uniform linear charge density \lambda_{0} along the x axis, extending from -x_{0} to -\infty. The correct solution involves integrating E = \int_{-x_{0}}^{-\infty} \frac{k\lambda_{0}}{(x+x_{0})^2} dx, which simplifies to \frac{k\lambda_{0}}{2x_{0}}. The issue with entering the answer in a website may be due to the incorrect use of TeX.
DFWDraco76
A continuous line of charge lies along the x axis, extending from [tex]-x_{0}{[/tex] to [tex]-\infty[/tex]. The line carries a uniform linear charge density [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex]. What is E, the magnitude of the electric field, at the origin?

Use the symbols [tex]\lambda_{0}, x_{0}[/tex] and k (for the Coulomb constant) to enter your answer.

Ok so I'm 99% sure I've got the correct answer, but for some reason the *#!$ website we have to use to enter the answers is not accepting it. So before I blow a gasket over it I wanted to make sure the answer is correct.

Since we're looking for the magnitude of the field it's easier for me to flip it over to the +x axis.

Basically it comes down to integrating E =
[tex]\int_x_{0}^\infty \frac{k\lambda_{0}}{(x=x_{0})^2[/tex], which, if I've done it correctly, comes to [tex] \frac{k\lambda_{0}}{2x_{0}} [/tex].

Ah I can't get the latex right. integral from x_not to infinity of (k lambda_not) / (x_not + x)^2 dx.

Is that correct?

----

On a side note - I'm new to the site and am still learning how to use latex. why is it that when you click "preview post" you can't see the result of the latex code? Unless I'm missing something, I have to actually post before I can see if I've made a mistake. Is that right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your TeX...so I'll just describe the correct way of solving this. The answer seems correct by the way.

Consider an elemental charge dq at a distance x from the origin. Clearly [itex]dq=\lambda dx[/itex]. The field due to this dq is directed towards the +x axis (assuming its all positve charge) and is given by

[tex]dE = \frac{k \lambda dx}{x^2}[/tex]

Now all you have to do is integrate from [itex]x=-x_{0}[/itex] to [itex]x=-\infty[/itex]. This is probably what you did...I just threw in the solution just in case you have a doubt.

Cheers
Vivek

----

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your response and thought process. Your integration and approach seem correct to me. As for the issue with the website not accepting your answer, it could be a technical issue or perhaps the website is looking for a specific format for the answer. I suggest double checking the instructions and formatting of the answer to see if that could be the issue. If you're still having trouble, you may want to reach out to the website's technical support for assistance.

As for the preview option for latex, unfortunately that is just how the website is set up. You can always use an online latex editor to check your code before posting it on the website. I hope this helps!

1. What is a line charge?

A line charge is a theoretical concept used in physics and mathematics to represent a long, thin, uniformly charged object. It is often used as a simplification for calculating the electric field in situations where a more complex charge distribution exists.

2. How is the electric field calculated for a line charge?

The electric field resulting from a line charge is calculated using the equation E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length), and r is the distance from the line charge. This equation is derived from Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the direction of the electric field for a line charge?

The direction of the electric field for a line charge is always radial, meaning it points directly away from or towards the line charge. This can be visualized by drawing tangent lines to the electric field lines at different points along the line charge.

4. Does the electric field vary along the length of a line charge?

Yes, the electric field does vary along the length of a line charge. The electric field is strongest at points closest to the line charge and decreases as the distance from the line charge increases. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the linear charge density, so a longer line charge will have a stronger electric field than a shorter one.

5. How does a line charge differ from a point charge in terms of electric field?

A line charge differs from a point charge in that the electric field for a line charge is non-uniform, meaning it varies in strength and direction at different points along the line. In contrast, the electric field for a point charge is uniform, meaning it has the same strength and direction at all points in space. Additionally, the electric field for a line charge is always radial, while the electric field for a point charge can have any direction depending on the location of the point charge.