Why do we celebrate with unhealthy habits?

In summary: The purpose of having parties and celebrating successes is to share in the happiness and success of others.The purpose of having parties and celebrating successes is to share in the happiness and success of others.
Mickey
I thought of putting this in the social science or philosophy forums, but I don't want to get too abstract about it. This is just something I've found a little confusing during life. :redface:

When great events and accomplishments happen, we celebrate them. We throw parties and serve lots of junk food and drinks. This seems counterintuitive and defeating. Why do we feel the need to harm our bodies after we or someone we know has done something good? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mickey said:
I thought of putting this in the social science or philosophy forums, but I don't want to get too abstract about it. This is just something I've found a little confusing during life. :redface:

When great events and accomplishments happen, we celebrate them. We throw parties and serve lots of junk food and drinks. This seems counterintuitive and defeating. Why do we feel the need to harm our bodies after we or someone we know has done something good? :confused:

I doubt you're harming yourself for one night of fun.

The problem arises when someone feels the need to celebrate everyday because they are still walking and talking.

JasonRox said:
I doubt you're harming yourself for one night of fun.
Well, the next day rarely feels very good. :tongue2:

The real question is, isn't the event or accomplishment being celebrated already a sufficient source of joy? Doesn't polluting your body with chemicals take away from that?

Last edited:
Mickey said:
Junkfood is not inherently "a toxin" to us, when eaten in inproportionate quantities it may have adverse health effects.

Drinks? Some of us like how it feels to be inebriated.

Mk said:
Junkfood is not inherently "a toxin" to us, when eaten in inproportionate quantities it may have adverse health effects.
The reason why junk food is junk is because it already contains disproportionate quantities of things.
Drinks? Some of us like how it feels to be inebriated.
But why do it at a celebration? Some of us like how it feels to be sexually massaged, but we don't do it at celebrations.

There are other parties for that.

I don't have anything against junk food and alcohol intrinsically. Just why is it there after good things happen? Aren't you already feeling good?

Why do you need chemicals that make you feel good if you're already feeling good? :confused:

Last edited:
Parties do not necessarily serve "junk" food. A lot of hors de oeuvres and canapes are quite healthy. As for drinking alcohol, the type and amount imbibed is up to the individual, a responsible person isn't going to get drunk.

Celebrating a success with good food and drink is a wonderful way to share that success.

Evo said:
Celebrating a success with good food and drink is a wonderful way to share that success.
Then I guess it's an empathy thing. Some people can't already feel good from another person's success, so they need to feel it from other things, like food and drink?

Mickey said:
Then I guess it's an empathy thing. Some people can't already feel good from another person's success, so they need to feel it from other things, like food and drink?
Why do people have birthday parties? Why do people have weddings? Why do people celebrate anniversaries and graduations?

What, are we supposed to just nod our heads and walk by someone that has good fortune or do we want to share some comaraderie and good food and drink and music, dancing, whatever? This goes back to the beginning of time.

What exactly do you find wrong in celebrating someone's success or happiness with them by having a pleasant time together?

When great events and accomplishments happen, we celebrate them. We throw parties and serve lots of junk food and drinks. This seems counterintuitive and defeating.
Socializing often involves food and/or drinks. The food doesn't have to be junk food - it could be hour d'oeuvres or finger foods as Evo indicated, or sandwiches, and the drinks do not have to be alcoholic.

Here are some examples of food for wedding celebrations/receptions.
http://www.cacharel.net/weddingreceptions.htm

Certainly munching on junk food or excessive consumption of soda or alcoholic beverages is counterproductive to a good time. Some people do that, many others don't.

Perhaps busy people socialize around 'special events' or to celebrate a colleages or friend's accomplishment.

At university, a group of students in our department would get together on Friday afternoons for $1 margaritas. If I joined them, I'd have a beer or two, otherwise, I would meet other friends for burgers and beer, just to relax at the end of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
What exactly do you find wrong in celebrating someone's success or happiness with them by having a pleasant time together?
Nothing at all. That's not what my question is about.

I just don't see the necessary attachment between "having a pleasant time together" and food and drink, especially after something good happens. People can recognize good times without providing each other opportunities to get drunk indigestion.

Last edited:
It's about being gracious to your guests and providing them with what makes them comfortable and happy, and it's about sharing good fortune. Back in the old days, people probably began celebrations by sharing what they had gathered in a good hunt or good harvest with others in their tribe. This likely extended itself out to other fortunate events like a wedding or a birth.

Evo said:
Why do people have birthday parties? Why do people have weddings? Why do people celebrate anniversaries and graduations?
Oh, except for weddings, I also don't really know why people celebrate these things... :rofl:

Except for the actual day a baby is born, birthdays are just numbers. Aren't we beyond recognizing successful trips around the Sun as an achievement? Anniversaries aren't achievements either. When you get married, you're supposed to stay together for a number of years. That's the whole point of celebrating the wedding! Graduations are meaningless these days. Maybe they used to mean something, I'm not sure. Doctoral candidates appear to accomplish things, so I can see how people would celebrate that. :wink:

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
It's about being gracious to your guests and providing them with what makes them comfortable and happy, and it's about sharing good fortune. Back in the old days, people probably began celebrations by sharing what they had gathered in a good hunt or good harvest with others in their tribe. This likely extended itself out to other fortunate events like a wedding or a birth.
Well, junk food and drinks don't make me comfortable and happy. They don't seem to make other people comfortable and happy either. Rather, they seem to provide them a means of ignoring their own discomfort and unhappiness.

I've only ever understood it as tradition.

Last edited:
Oh, except for weddings, I also don't really know why people celebrate these things...
Seems a bit sarcastic and cynical. Well, for one, weddings are usually times when families get together, which is especially significant for those families where sibblings of generations are dispersed. Weddings also represent the beginning of a new family and hope for the future - well that's what they should mean.

Food and drink (again not necessarily alcoholic) allow people to gather for an extended period. The enjoyment of food and drink add to (or supplement) the overall enjoyment, not necessarily substituting for the enjoyment of the gathering.

Birthdays and anniversaries are just conclusions of one of many cycles. It is a time for reflection on the past year and for the immediate and far future.

I like MIH's point about 'sharing good fortune', which is an important part of socializing.

Astronuc said:
Seems a bit sarcastic and cynical. Well, for one, weddings are usually times when families get together, which is especially significant for those families where sibblings of generations are dispersed. Weddings also represent the beginning of a new family and hope for the future - well that's what they should mean.
I already said I understood why weddings are celebrated.

Astronuc said:
Food and drink (again not necessarily alcoholic) allow people to gather for an extended period. The enjoyment of food and drink add to (or supplement) the overall enjoyment, not necessarily substituting for the enjoyment of the gathering.

This makes some sense, but implicit here is that the meal is an extended one. Why people can't just have a regular meal and go on with something more fruitful is escaping me. People usually have more rewarding experiences together when they're not eating.

Birthdays and anniversaries are just conclusions of one of many cycles. It is a time for reflection on the past year and for the immediate and far future.
I don't see how reflection itself implies celebration. Reflection on something good, yes, but on a time measurement? Sounds like something a person would do at work.

I like MIH's point about 'sharing good fortune', which is an important part of socializing.
Obviously.

Look, guys, I don't have a problem socializing!

I'm just confused on this particular material aspect, is all. Fortune can be shared in a literally unending variety of ways. We're not hunter-gatherers anymore. Why so much focus on food and drink?

Last edited:
Mickey said:
IPeople usually have more rewarding experiences together when they're not eating.
WHAT? Not for me. :devil: No food = no fun.

People are always more comfortable in a social setting if they have something in their hands, either food or a beverage. That's very well known.

When people get together it is a common courtesy to offer refreshments. You need to study up on social graces.

We're not hunter-gatherers anymore. Why so much focus on food and drink?
Because we're still human and we enjoy eating and drinking?

We Are Celebrating Our Dying Process

Mickey,

When We Celebrate With The People Who Have Accomplished, We Are Empathizing With The People Who Have Accomplished In A Setting Where We Are Conscious About Our Dying Process. In Fact, We Only Have A Short Time Before The Dying Process Is Complete And The Inevitable Experience Of Death Is Met. The People Who Have Accomplished Are Celebrating Because They Are In A Moment Of Joy From Their Encountering Success In An Otherwise Mundane Existence. Thus, They Are Joyful Even Though They Have Accepted Their Ultimate Fate, And For That Moment...they Do Not Long To Lengthen Their Time By Avoiding Junk Food, Alcohol, And Other Harmful Substances. Serving Junk Food And Alcohol Is Their Way Of Inviting The Experience Of Empathy...an Empathy Of A Nirvana Like Experience Where Death Is No Longer The End Of A Mundane Existence. We Celebrate With The Accomplished For That Moment So We Can Celebrate The Dying Process.

POSITION_VECTOR said:
Mickey,

When We Celebrate With The People Who Have Accomplished, We Are Empathizing With The People Who Have Accomplished In A Setting Where We Are Conscious About Our Dying Process. In Fact, We Only Have A Short Time Before The Dying Process Is Complete And The Inevitable Experience Of Death Is Met. The People Who Have Accomplished Are Celebrating Because They Are In A Moment Of Joy From Their Encountering Success In An Otherwise Mundane Existence. Thus, They Are Joyful Even Though They Have Accepted Their Ultimate Fate, And For That Moment...they Do Not Long To Lengthen Their Time By Avoiding Junk Food, Alcohol, And Other Harmful Substances. Serving Junk Food And Alcohol Is Their Way Of Inviting The Experience Of Empathy...an Empathy Of A Nirvana Like Experience Where Death Is No Longer The End Of A Mundane Existence. We Celebrate With The Accomplished For That Moment So We Can Celebrate The Dying Process.
Actually, I just like the food and drinks. Hardees Thick Angus Beef Burgers are especialy wonderful for enjoying success. And curly fries with mayonaise. :approve:

Why We Celebrate With Beer And Junk Food

Evo said:
. . . we enjoy eating and drinking?
Evo said:
Actually, I just like the food and drinks. Hardees Thick Angus Beef Burgers are especialy wonderful for enjoying success. And curly fries with mayonaise.
Sounds good to me. :approve: :tongue2: Yup, I enjoy the food and drink.

Mickey said:
Look, guys, I don't have a problem socializing!
No one has suggested that you do. We are simply explaining that people in general prefer to socialize with food and drink as part of the experience.

POSITION_VECTOR said:
. . .We Can Celebrate The Dying Process
Interesting idea. Dying is not something I celebrate or contemplate, not even with food or drink. When I'm with friends, we more or less celebrate life.

Don't SHOUT and more people will listen to you!

Mickey said:
Well, the next day rarely feels very good. :tongue2:

The real question is, isn't the event or accomplishment being celebrated already a sufficient source of joy? Doesn't polluting your body with chemicals take away from that?
It's only been a short time since we were hunter/gatherers, and even once we progressed to farming, the times when food was in excess has been pretty rare.

Food at a party is always good, especially if it's a little higher quality than junk food (Hardee's Thick Angus Beef Burgers and curly fries aren't junk food - they're the perfect hors de oeuvres!), but I can understand what you mean about some people and alcohol.

Feeling good about an event or accomplishment might not last long enough, so people try to extend that good feeling artificially. Some alcohol allows a more relaxed, lingering effect as you come down from your excitement.

A person that takes every celebration as an opportunity to get totally trashed has problems with alcohol. The problem they have has nothing to do with why alcohol is normally served at celebrations.

POSITION_VECTOR said:
Was that in the Bible? Everything is capitalized. :biggrin:

People have already accepted their transcience, so the real division of opinions is on how to best spend the time from womb to tomb.
Some consume beer to dim the sense of helplessness against their imminent death, some delight their palate with junk food to achieve the same purpose, and some capitalize the first letter of every word they jot in their obscure paragraphs.

What is a celebration cause and effect?

A celebration cause and effect refers to the relationship between an event or action that leads to a celebration and the impact or consequences of that celebration on individuals or society.

Why do people celebrate?

People celebrate for various reasons, such as achieving a goal, commemorating a significant event, or expressing joy and happiness. Celebrations also serve as a way to bring people together and foster a sense of community.

What are the positive effects of celebrations?

Celebrations can have positive effects on individuals, such as boosting morale, creating a sense of belonging, and promoting cultural traditions. They can also have a positive impact on society by promoting unity and fostering a sense of pride and identity.

What are the negative effects of celebrations?

Although celebrations are generally seen as positive events, they can also have negative effects. Excessive celebration can lead to reckless behavior, such as excessive drinking or spending, which can have negative consequences on individuals and society. It can also create pressure and expectations for future celebrations, leading to stress and disappointment.

How can we minimize negative effects of celebrations?

To minimize negative effects, it is important to practice moderation in celebrations and be mindful of the impact on ourselves and others. It is also essential to plan and budget for celebrations to avoid overspending and potential financial stress. Additionally, it is crucial to promote inclusivity and respect for cultural traditions in celebrations to avoid exclusion or offense.