Exploring Precession and its Role in Hindu Scripture

• Thread starter navneet1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of precession and its impact on the Earth's pole star. The speaker proposes using Hindu scriptures to track the position of the pole star and calculate the time difference between then and now. However, it is noted that the accuracy of measurements from that time period may be unreliable. A link to a calculator is provided that can assist in determining the pole's position at any given time.
navneet1990
i was just finishing my project and i got a idea
maybe it is valid maybe not
could ya'll judge it and opine on it
thank you

here it is:

i heard that there is something know as preccession
and that in another 14000 years the Earth shall point towards vega
that is we have crossed 12000 years,
so 14000 years later the Earth's pole star shall be vega

and also that every year there is a precession of 50"

now i want to know more about preccession
What exactly it is

and like in hindu scripture the positions of the Earth with respect to constelattions and other stars , the position of pole star and all have been given

now using that data
could we find the star the Earth was pointing towards [ the pole star of then]
and find out the preccession difference
let us say that difference is X

the divide X degrees by 50"
and find out the time difference [ year difference]
between then and now
so we know the exact date when the Earth was pointing in that direction and hence know when exactly these scriptures were written

Is this possible?

Space news on Phys.org
where is the calc
i can't see it

its possible but measurements required back then probably wouldn't tell you much since they have relatively large errors. If they have perfect observations it would be simple, but nothing is perfect

yes but even now we don't have perfection
atleast we could get close with an error of about one century

1. What is precession?

Precession is the slow and gradual change in the orientation of the Earth's axis of rotation. This results in a shift in the position of the celestial poles and the equinoxes over time.

2. How does precession relate to Hindu scripture?

In Hinduism, the concept of precession is closely tied to the idea of yugas, or cosmic ages. These yugas are believed to last for thousands of years, and each one is associated with a specific cycle of precession.

3. What evidence supports the role of precession in Hindu scripture?

There is evidence of precession in ancient Hindu texts such as the Mahabharata and the Rigveda, which describe the movement of the sun, moon, and stars in relation to the Earth's axis. Additionally, modern astronomical calculations have confirmed the accuracy of these descriptions.

4. How does precession impact our understanding of time in Hinduism?

Precession plays a significant role in the concept of time in Hinduism. The yugas are believed to represent different ages in the cycle of creation and destruction, and precession helps to mark the beginning and end of each yuga.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying precession in Hindu scripture?

Studying precession in Hindu scripture can provide insight into the ancient astronomical knowledge and understanding of time in Hinduism. It can also help to bridge the gap between science and religion, as the concept of precession is supported by both fields.