Static friction and kinetic friction

In summary, the conversation is about solving physics problems involving friction. The speaker is looking for help in understanding the concepts and formulas for finding the force of friction in various scenarios. They mention using diagrams and refer to a forum post by Doc Al for assistance.
Revolver
Another concept my physics prof didn't teach the class. I would love to be able to attempt these problems but I have no idea what these concepts are or the formulas for them. I'm not looking for the answers to these problems here folks, but rather a method in which to solve them. Thanks!

1. A 750 N box moves at a constant velocity on a floor with a coeficient of static friciton of .800 and a coefficient of kinetic friction = .600. What is the horizontal force required to keep the box moving?

All I can think to do here is draw a diagram with vectors, but I honestly have no idea what to do.

2. A 750 N box rests on hte floor with a coefficient of static friction = .800 and a coefficient kinetic friciton of 0.600. What is the force of friction if a horizontal force of 550 N is applied to the box?

Again, no idea.

3. In order to slide a 70.0 kg box across the floor at a constant speed, you must push horizontally with a force of 351 N. What is teh coefficient of kinetic friciton?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a diagram would be a good start...

I did.. thing is I don't know the formulas, or the method to solve it. I'm not looking for the answer, but rather for someone to explain how to tackle these problems. Thanks.

Anybody know the formula?

The formula you want is Fmax=Us*Fn where Fs is what you are trying to find and Us (meu) is the coefficient of static friction and Fn is normal force

1. What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction refers to the force that keeps an object at rest, while kinetic friction refers to the force that acts on an object in motion. In other words, static friction prevents an object from moving, while kinetic friction slows down an object's movement.

2. How do you calculate static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction can be calculated using the formula F = μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force. Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula F = μkN, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static and kinetic friction?

The magnitude of both static and kinetic friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force between the surfaces, and the roughness of the surfaces. The coefficient of friction also plays a significant role in determining the magnitude of both types of friction.

4. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction is typically greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction. This is because it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest than to keep it in motion.

5. How does friction affect the motion of moving objects?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, which causes it to slow down or come to a stop. This is because friction converts some of the object's kinetic energy into heat, which dissipates into the surroundings. The amount of friction present can also affect the speed and acceleration of an object.