Urgent: Existence and Uniqueness theorem

In summary, Maria Thomson is recovering from heart surgery and needs help with some questions. The first set of questions (a) deals with showing the properties of a given function and norm, while the second set (b) involves integrating a system of equations and showing their properties. She is asking for assistance within the next 4 hours.
MT20
Greating my friends,

I have just returned home today from heart surgery.

I still feeling the effects of the operation, because I'm affried the hospital send me home a bit to early. But I have to have these questions finished before tomorrow.

So therefore I would very much appreciate if somebody could help me answer these questions?

(a)

(I use the triangle inequality in (1) and (3)?)

Let I be a open interval and f: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n be a continious function.

Let || \cdot || be a given norm on \mathbb{R}^n.

Show the following:

1) If there exists a C>0 then ||x|| \leq C ||C||_1; x \in \mathbb{R}^n, ||x|| _1 = \sum _{j=1} ^n |x_j|

2) The mapping I \ni t \rightarrow ||f(t)|| \in \mathbb{R} is continious on.

3) for all t1,t2 \in \ || \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} f(t) dt|| \leq | \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} ||f(t)||dt|

(b)

Looking at the system(*) of equations,

x1' = (a-bx2)* x1
x2' = (cx1 -d)*x2

open the open Quadrant K; here a,b,c and d er positive constants.

I need to show that the system can be integrated. Which means I need to show that there exist a C^1 -function, with the properties F:U \rightarrow \mathbb{R}, where U \subseteq K is open and close in K(close means that for every point in K, is a limit point for q sequence, whos elements belongs to K). Such that gradient F \notequal 0 for alle x \in U and such that F is constant for trajectories of system.

Finally I need to conclude that every max trajectory is contained in a compact subset of K, and that the system (*) field X: R \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2.

Sincerley Yours
Maria Thomson 20

p.s. I'm so sorry for asking so much, but has been such a difficult couple of days for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just going to copy and past your post, adding in TeX tags so I can read your questions:

Greating my friends,

I have just returned home today from heart surgery.

I still feeling the effects of the operation, because I'm affried the hospital send me home a bit to early. But I have to have these questions finished before tomorrow.

So therefore I would very much appreciate if somebody could help me answer these questions?

(a)

(I use the triangle inequality in (1) and (3)?)

Let I be a open interval and [itex]f: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be a continious function.

Let [itex]|| \cdot ||[/itex] be a given norm on [itex]\mathbb{R}^n.[/itex]

Show the following:

1) If there exists a C>0 then [itex]||x|| \leq C ||C||_1; x \in \mathbb{R}^n, ||x|| _1 = \sum _{j=1} ^n |x_j|[/itex]

2) The mapping [itex]I \ni t \rightarrow ||f(t)|| \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continious on.

3) for all [itex]t_1,t_2 \in \ || \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} f(t) dt|| \leq | \int_{t_1} ^{t_2} ||f(t)||dt|[/itex]

(b)

Looking at the system(*) of equations,

x1' = (a-bx2)* x1
x2' = (cx1 -d)*x2

open the open Quadrant K; here a,b,c and d er positive constants.

I need to show that the system can be integrated. Which means I need to show that there exist a [itex]C^1[/itex] -function, with the properties [itex]F:U \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], where [itex]U \subseteq K[/itex] is open and close in K(close means that for every point in K, is a limit point for q sequence, whos elements belongs to K). Such that [itex]\nabla F \notequal 0[/itex] for alle [itex]x \in U[/itex] and such that F is constant for trajectories of system.

Finally I need to conclude that every max trajectory is contained in a compact subset of K, and that the system (*) field [itex]X: R \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/itex].

Sincerley Yours
Maria Thomson 20

p.s. I'm so sorry for asking so much, but has been such a difficult couple of days for me.

Hi

I'm sorry, but I have these answered within the next 4 hours, so if there somebody here who can help me I would be very greatful.

Sincerely Yours and God bless

MT

1. What is the Existence and Uniqueness theorem?

The Existence and Uniqueness theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that states under what circumstances a solution to a mathematical problem exists and is unique.

2. Why is the Existence and Uniqueness theorem important?

The theorem is important because it guarantees the existence and uniqueness of solutions to certain mathematical problems, which is crucial in many fields of science and engineering.

3. What types of problems does the Existence and Uniqueness theorem apply to?

The theorem applies to problems involving differential equations, initial value problems, and boundary value problems, among others.

4. How is the Existence and Uniqueness theorem proven?

The theorem is typically proven using mathematical techniques such as the Picard-Lindelöf theorem or the Cauchy-Lipschitz theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to the Existence and Uniqueness theorem?

Yes, the theorem only applies to problems that meet certain criteria, such as being well-posed and having continuous and differentiable functions. It also may not apply to problems with nonlinear or non-unique solutions.