What is the Speed of a Bead on a Circular Wire in Space?

In summary, the question is about finding the speed of a bead on a circular wire in space, given its initial speed, mass, radius, and coefficient of kinetic friction. The problem requires integration and involves centripetal acceleration. The only drag force is from friction between the bead and the wire, which will vary as the bead slows down.
p_o_o_k_i
hey guys! this question is a complete mind boggler to me =[

consider a bead of mass m that is free to move on a thin, circular wire of radius r. the bead is given an initial speed vo, and there is a coefficient of kinetic friction uk. the experiment is perfomred in a spaceraft drifting in space. Find the speed of the bead at any subsequent time t.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80ag3.jpg

my work:
i'm assuming that because it's in space, it experiences a drag force? And it requires some sort of integration? And there is centripetal acceleration.
And that's all i know.

It'd be so great if I could get some help! Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
p_o_o_k_i said:
hey guys! this question is a complete mind boggler to me =[

consider a bead of mass m that is free to move on a thin, circular wire of radius r. the bead is given an initial speed vo, and there is a coefficient of kinetic friction uk. the experiment is perfomred in a spaceraft drifting in space. Find the speed of the bead at any subsequent time t.

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80ag3.jpg

my work:
i'm assuming that because it's in space, it experiences a drag force? And it requires some sort of integration? And there is centripetal acceleration.
And that's all i know.

It'd be so great if I could get some help! Thanks so much in advance!
The only "drag" in the problem is from the friction between the bead and the wire. The frictional force is proportional to the normal force, which is the force the wire exerts on the bead to make it follow the circular path. Since the bead slows down, that force will not be constant, so you probably will need to do some calculus.

Last edited:
thanks so much! at least now i have a idea where to start! =]

1. What is motion along a curved path?

Motion along a curved path is when an object moves in a curved trajectory rather than a straight line. This can occur due to the presence of external forces or the object's own inertia.

2. What causes an object to follow a curved path?

An object follows a curved path due to the presence of centripetal force, which is a force that acts towards the center of the curve. This force is necessary to keep the object moving along the curved path.

3. How does velocity change in motion along a curved path?

In motion along a curved path, the velocity of the object changes both in magnitude and direction. As the object moves along the curve, its velocity vector continuously changes to point towards the center of the curve.

4. What is the role of centripetal force in motion along a curved path?

The role of centripetal force in motion along a curved path is to provide the necessary inward force to keep the object moving along the curve. Without this force, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the curve.

5. How is motion along a curved path different from motion in a straight line?

Motion along a curved path is different from motion in a straight line because the velocity and acceleration vectors are continuously changing in direction in curved motion, whereas they remain constant in straight line motion. Additionally, curved motion requires the presence of centripetal force, while straight line motion does not.