Explore Human Anatomy at Bodies The Exhibition in Amsterdam!

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bodies
In summary: But the German factory opened up because of the lax regulations.In summary, the exhibition has anyone ever visited that exhibition? It's coming to Amsterdam in a few weeks time and I'm pretty excited to be able to see the anatomy of real bodies.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bodies The Exhibition, has anyone ever visited that exhibition? It's coming to Amsterdam in a few weeks time http://www.bodiesamsterdam.nl/ and I'm pretty excited to be able to see the anatomy of real bodies, though it must be a really strange experience with the fact that you are looking at an actual person.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've only see them on tv. That guy did incredible work.

I heard that there was some dust hanging off some of them (by friends who saw it when it was in Denver) :yuck:

I do like reading about it in Mary Roach's "Stiff" -- a good read about donating your body to science and other things you can do with your remains or the remains of a loved one...

Oooh is this that Gunther von Hagens thing? I watched the TV series, some of the preserved corpses are incredible. It's worth going to see just to see the circulatory ones.

I've only heard about it, and seen some TV coverage. You'll have to let us know after you see it if it's really done tastefully to be educational, or if it's just popular for being shockingly controversial.

Moonie, I was dubious at first. But some of the exhibits were truly breathtaking. The one which impressed me most was the circulatory system; every blood vessel had been filled with the plastinationy goo stuff (dyed red) and the bones and flesh then dissolved away. The detail of the tiniest capillaries is preserved, it's truly stunning.

I think the only reason for the controversy is that the guy who invented the technique is incredibly creepy, and the way that he deals with corpses in such a matter-of-fact manner is probably a bit too callous for some people. But truly educational exhibits; many healthcare professionals I know have been similarly impressed.

Thanks for the insight, Brewie! I'm not sure of any better way to deal with corpses than "matter of factly." I guess an outsider would be uncomfortable with a gross anatomy lab as well. I got the impression that people were also shocked because they were thinking of it as a "shock art" exhibit rather than as a science or even art of science exhibit.

Is there an English version of that link? I can't even figure out what to click on. :confused:
I'd certainly go see it if it comes around here.

I think many people do think of it as a 'shock art' exhibit, and I'm sure that a good proportion of its visitors aren't overly interested in anatomy, or the plastination technique. However, I don't think that any of this negates its educational value; I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you visited the exhibition (or found the "anatomy for beginners" TV series).

My parents saw it when it was in Philly (I really should have seen it - it was here for like a year). They said if you aren't of the right mindset going in, it may seem like shock-art, but it isn't meant to be that way. It was interesting and unusual and they really liked it.

Thanks, Brewski. It's kinda disappointing that the site is simply to sell tickets and merchandise, but it's a start.

I was in Boston when it was at the Science Museum there, but I never went to see it :/

Our AP science classes have secured a full-day paid-for visit to the Boston exhibition. We'll see it Nov 28th. I'm a little excited about it.

My Chemistry project started off with the process of "plastination". A quite interesting process i might add.

Vaslius would be proud. The guy riding the horse holding his skin is pretty cool.

The same folks are opening a factory for tours, evidently.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Body-Worlds.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
wow -- and the tour factory is in Germany... I'm surprised there weren't regulations.

The plastination was originally being done in China. (This is true -- Dalian, China; I did not intend a politically incorrect reference to the Chinese plastics industry.)

1. What is Bodies The Exhibition in Amsterdam?

Bodies The Exhibition is a traveling museum that showcases real human bodies that have been preserved through a process called plastination. It allows visitors to explore the inner workings of the human body in a unique and educational way.

2. How are the bodies preserved in the exhibition?

The bodies are preserved through a process called plastination, which was invented by Dr. Gunther von Hagens. This process involves replacing the body's natural fluids with a liquid plastic that hardens and preserves the tissues.

3. Are the bodies in the exhibition real?

Yes, the bodies in the exhibition are real. They are actual human bodies that have been donated for educational and scientific purposes. The process of plastination allows for the preservation and display of these bodies in a respectful and informative way.

4. What can visitors expect to see at Bodies The Exhibition?

Visitors can expect to see real human bodies and body parts that have been preserved through plastination, as well as interactive exhibits and displays that showcase the anatomy and functions of different systems in the body.

5. Is Bodies The Exhibition suitable for all ages?

The exhibition is recommended for ages 12 and up, as some of the displays may be too graphic or intense for younger children. However, parental discretion is advised and there is no minimum age requirement for entry.