Quenching and Hardness Testings

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardness
In summary,1. Water and oil are quenchants for steel.2. The cooling rate affects the % of martensite in the final microstructure. And this correlates with the final hardness.3. Metallurgy of steel for bladesmiths and others who heat treat and forge steel is very impressive. There is a lot of information out there, and it can be found on the Internet.
snowJT
Lets say I quenched two bars of steel, both 1040 steel, one was quenched in water, other in oil. How will that affect the hardness testing on the Rockwell scale, as well as impact tests?

And the higher the hardness of the steel the less it'll perform on the impact test right? Because it'll be more brittle the more martensitic it is.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fully hardened 1040 steel can achieve a hardness of 57 HRC (Hardness Rockwell C) quenched rapidly in water. 1040 steel may not harden at all when quenched in oil.
from Heat Treatment/Thermal Processes, Sinclair Community College

Generally, the harder the steel, the more brittle it will be and would fracture at a lower energy in the Charpy (impact) test.

One might find this of interest
http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/836878-AegKFa/836878.PDF
HEAT TREATMENT PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION

Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others Who Heat Treat and Forge Steel
http://mse.iastate.edu/fileadmin/www.mse.iastate.edu/static/files/verhoeven/7-5.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
very astounding pages... just incredable... one thing it doesn't talk about is the comaprison from oil to water quenching..

would that really be that oil can quench slower causing less deformation than water, but oil won't fully harden as much as water quenching would?

but the amount of information found in this is just incredible... the diagrams and detailed explanations are pretty good, I'm impressed.

Thanks

snowJT said:
very astounding pages... just incredable... one thing it doesn't talk about is the comaprison from oil to water quenching..

would that really be that oil can quench slower causing less deformation than water, but oil won't fully harden as much as water quenching would?
1. What do you know about the cooling rates produced by using water and oil as quenchants?

2. What do you know about TTT diagrams and the critical cooling rate? How the the cooling rate affect the % of martensite in the final microstructure? And how does this correlate with the final hardness?

PS: What is this for?

Last edited:
I know a bit about cooling rates, and in terms of TTT diagrams, I know what most should look like for different metals, and what they should look like if there's an interrupted quench or if something is quenched longer, or if something is quenched to martin site, then brought back up.

I'm going to be quenching a few things tomorrow, and I'd just like to know some theory behind it, in case something goes wrong, such as now I know not to quench 1040 in oil...

and 1040 steel obviously would have a higher Rockwell scale number than 1020 steel correct? but the 1020 would require more energy to break it?

These articles might also be of use - http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles#p2

Anyway, one would have to determine the impact toughness of 1020 and 1040. 1020 is a low carbon steel (0.2% C), whereas 1040 is a medium carbon steel (0.4% C). Given similar thermomechanical processing, i.e. similar working and heat treatment - I would expect the impact toughness of 1020 to be higher.

See - http://www.engineersedge.com/steel.htm - for some descriptions of use.

Also this - http://www.me.unm.edu/~zleseman/Lecture4.pdf

Physical Metallurgy of Steel
http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/Inte...rcarriage_Leg/Steel_Metallurgy_Ohio-State.pdf

Mechanical Properties of Structural
Steels (Draft)
http://wtc.nist.gov/pubs/NISTNCSTAR1-3DDraft.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it you are or where a metallurgist? You have found some pretty impressive resources, usually it's hard to find such descriptive things on the Internet... it compares quite well with the books I have on it

When it comes to materials information, the net has a lot of resources. You'll find most of the manufacturers have great information on their products. You just have to spend a little time searching. The info is out there.

Dr Game said:
I take it you are or where a metallurgist? You have found some pretty impressive resources, usually it's hard to find such descriptive things on the Internet... it compares quite well with the books I have on it
If referring to me, I do a lot of performance modeling/simulation of material systems which requires a knowledge of materials - metals and ceramics. My background is primarily nuclear engineering with a materials background. In addition, I've had the opportunity to watch those materials and products I simulate being manufactured. This enables me to relate the performance with the product and the product with the process. How one makes the material has a profound influence on how it performs in its intended (actual) environment.

I am also a member of ASTM, TMS, ASM International, and ANS MSTD (Material Science & Technology Division).

Last edited:

What is quenching?

Quenching is a heat treatment process used to harden metals. It involves rapidly cooling a heated metal to change its internal structure and increase its strength.

Why is quenching important in metalworking?

Quenching is important because it can significantly alter the properties of a metal, making it stronger and more durable. It also allows for the creation of different types of metal alloys with specific properties.

What is the purpose of a hardness test?

The purpose of a hardness test is to determine the resistance of a material to plastic deformation. It is an important measure of a material's strength and durability.

What are the different types of hardness tests?

There are several types of hardness tests, including Brinell, Rockwell, Vickers, and Knoop. Each test measures the hardness of a material using different methods and scales, and is suitable for different types of materials.

How is a hardness test performed?

A hardness test is typically performed by pressing a hard object, such as a diamond or steel ball, into the surface of the material. The depth or size of the indentation is then measured to determine the material's hardness.