Calculating Current & Power Dissipation in a Circuit Diagram

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total current and power dissipated in a circuit using phasor diagram techniques without using complex numbers. The person is asking for help and clarification on how to approach the problem, and someone suggests using equivalent phaser resistances for capacitors and inductors. They also mention converting the supply and resistances to phaser form to apply regular circuit techniques. The confusion arises from the instruction to not use complex numbers.
suspenc3

Homework Statement

See Attachment.

Find the total Current in the following circuit by phasor diagram techniques only. What is the total power dissipated?Do not use complex #'s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure how to start and the notes for this topic arent that great. I have done a few examples involving a series cct and parallel cct, but I haven't seen one like this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

EDIT: Could someone move this into engineering/computer science section?

Attachments

• CIRCUIT 1.JPG
    CIRCUIT 1.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, what is the equivalent phaser resistances for capacitors and inductors? Once you convert your supply to phaser form, and the resistances to phaser form all of the regular circuit techniques can be applied. I am really confused by the "do not use complex numbers" statement. It's like saying, "You must use phasers! Oh, I'm sorry, I meant phasers without complex numbers (?)."

I would start by analyzing the circuit diagram and identifying all the components and their values. From there, I would use basic circuit analysis techniques such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws to calculate the current and power dissipation in the circuit.

First, I would calculate the total resistance in the circuit by combining the resistances in series and parallel. Then, using Ohm's law (V=IR), I would calculate the total voltage in the circuit. From there, I can use Kirchhoff's laws to determine the current at each point in the circuit.

To calculate power dissipation, I would use the formula P=IV, where I is the current and V is the voltage. I would calculate the power dissipation at each component in the circuit and then add them together to get the total power dissipation.

Using phasor diagram techniques, I would represent the voltages and currents in the circuit as vectors and use vector addition to find the total current. This method is particularly useful for analyzing AC circuits.

Overall, the key to solving this problem is to have a solid understanding of basic circuit analysis techniques and to carefully apply them to the circuit diagram.

1. What is current and power dissipation in a circuit diagram?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, while power dissipation refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat within the circuit. This heat is often dissipated through resistors or other components.

2. How do you calculate current in a circuit diagram?

To calculate current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be written as I = V/R. Alternatively, current can also be calculated by measuring the voltage drop across a known resistance using a multimeter.

3. How do you calculate power dissipation in a circuit diagram?

To calculate power dissipation, you can use the formula P = I^2 x R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula is derived from Joule's Law, which states that the amount of heat dissipated in a circuit is directly proportional to the current squared and the resistance.

4. What is the relationship between current and power dissipation in a circuit?

The relationship between current and power dissipation is that as current increases, so does power dissipation. This is because as more current flows through a circuit, there is more energy being converted into heat, resulting in a higher power dissipation. This is why circuits are designed with components that can handle a certain amount of current to prevent overheating and potential damage.

5. How do you account for multiple components in a circuit when calculating current and power dissipation?

When calculating current and power dissipation in a circuit with multiple components, you must consider the total resistance of the circuit. This can be done by using the equivalent resistance formula for resistors in series or parallel. Once you have the total resistance, you can use the equations mentioned earlier to calculate current and power dissipation in the circuit.