Find Moment of Inertia and Frictional Torque

In summary, the wheel has an angular acceleration of 2.52 rad/s^2 due to the external torque and frictional torque.
personguy
1. A wheel free to rotate about its axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of +52 N m is applied to the wheel for 22 s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of +530 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. (Include the sign in your answers.)(a) Find the moment of inertia of the wheel.

(b) Find the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.

I have no idea where to begin with this... I need a mass and radius to find the moment of inertia...but they aren't given.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the mass and the radius of the wheel are not given so you're going to have to derive them from the information given. Note that you're given torque, time and angular velocity. Do you know of any equations involving the latter that you can use to derive the mass and the radius?

No, I don't.

personguy said:
No, I don't.

Grab a physics book then and start looking.

I did, I don't see anything.

Looks like I'm going to have to be a bit more specific: In your book, what are the equations for torque and angular velocity?

Angular Velocity: d theta / dt

Torque: Tangential force times radial distance (Ft times r) = Fr sin theta = Fl

My friend tried it this way, but it didn't give the right answers:

Torque = F.d = I.a

I = moment of inertia

a = angular acceleration

F = force

d = distance.

The first torque made the wheel rotate from the rest until the speed gained an angular velocity of 530 rev / min

The torque is 52Nm

52 Nm = I.a

I = moment of inertia of the wheel

a = angular aceleration

let's find a, with : Wf = 530 rev / min, time = 22s, initial velocity = 0 m/s

530*2pi / 60 = a*22

a = 2.52 rad/s^2

then : 52 = I*2.52 >>> I = 20.63 kg*m^2

b), Let's find the frictional torque with :

Torque = 20.63.a'

a' = final angular acceleration ( when the wheel stops)

initial speed before the braking : 530*2pi / 60 rad / s

final velocity = 0 rad / s, time = 120 s

0 = 530*2pi/60 - a'120

a' = 0.46 rad / s^2

Torque = 20.63*0.46 = 9.54 Nm

personguy said:
The first torque made the wheel rotate from the rest until the speed gained an angular velocity of 530 rev / min

The torque is 52Nm

Note that the net torque on the wheel is the sum of the external torque and the frictional torque. You seem to be ignoring the frictional torque when finding the angular acceleration of the wheel.

So where would that come into this problem?

personguy said:
So where would that come into this problem?

That's from the initial analysis of the problem. Do you agree with my statement? Do you see how the net torque on the wheel for the first 22 seconds equals the external torque plus the frictional torque?

1. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of Inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate Moment of Inertia?

The Moment of Inertia of an object can be calculated by using the formula I = Σmr², where I is the Moment of Inertia, m is the mass of the particle, and r is the distance of the particle from the axis of rotation.

3. What is Frictional Torque?

Frictional Torque is the torque produced by the contact between two surfaces that are in relative motion. It is the result of the frictional forces between the two surfaces.

4. How do you calculate Frictional Torque?

The formula for calculating Frictional Torque is T = µF, where T is the Frictional Torque, µ is the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, and F is the normal force acting between the two surfaces.

5. Why is Moment of Inertia and Frictional Torque important?

Moment of Inertia and Frictional Torque are important in understanding an object's rotational motion and the forces that act upon it. They are crucial in designing and analyzing machines, as well as predicting their performance and stability.