Reflection of different metals

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment measuring the intensity of light reflected from different metals. Copper is found to reflect the most light, followed by iron, zinc, and lead. The person is unsure how to explain this and suggests that it may be due to the different structures and quantum energies of each metal. They also question the relationship between intensity and the number of photons emitted, and the role of freely moving electrons in the lattice. The conversation then delves into the standard dispersion equation and its effects on absorption and scattering, as well as the electron damping factor and the influence of oxidation on surface dullness. Interference is also considered as a factor in scattering at certain angles.
sophieyeomans

Homework Statement

Having done an experiment measuring the intensity of light reflected from copper, lead, zinc and iron, i found that copper reflected the most light, then iron, then zinc, then lead.

Now i have to explain it and I don't really know how to !

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking perhaps something to do with the fact that each of the metal atoms has different structures, and so different allowed quantum energies with which to absorb and emit light, so that's why they are all different?

But then I'm measuring light intensity, and doesn't intensity relate to the number of photons emitted, not the energy of each photon??

I'm really confused!

And what about the fact that they are not single atoms, but a lattice, with freely moving electrons?

:confused: Please help me ! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the different metals. Is the light being scattered from their surfaces different colors? What does this say about the frequencies of scattering? Quantum states?

Now look at the standard dispersion equation which is:

[tex] n = 1+\frac {q_e^2}{2m \epsilon }\sum_k \frac {N_k}
{\omega_k^2 - \omega^2 + i\gama_k \omega} [/tex]

Now the what happens when the [tex] \omega_k [/tex] of the metal approaches the [tex] \omega [/tex] of the source light? Under what conditions does the absorption peaks? how about scattering peaks?

What affect does the [tex] i\gama_k \omega} [/tex] electron damping factor have on the above questions? Why do you think that when the surface oxidizes (which sends the [tex] \omega_k [/tex] all over the place) do we get a dull surface?

Also think about interference. How does that affect the scattering? Why do we get a lot of scattering at certain angles and not at others?

Last edited:

What is reflection of different metals?

Reflection of different metals refers to the phenomenon where light bounces off the surface of a metal at the same angle it hits the surface, resulting in a mirrored image. This is due to the high reflectivity of metals.

What causes the differences in reflection among metals?

The differences in reflection among metals can be attributed to their physical and chemical properties. Metals with smooth surfaces and high levels of free electrons tend to have higher reflectivity compared to those with rough surfaces and fewer free electrons.

How does the color of a metal affect its reflection?

The color of a metal does not have a significant impact on its reflection. However, darker colored metals may appear less reflective due to the absorption of some light wavelengths. On the other hand, lighter colored metals may appear more reflective as they reflect most of the light that hits their surface.

What is the relationship between reflection and conductivity in metals?

There is a direct relationship between reflection and conductivity in metals. Metals with high electrical conductivity also tend to have high reflectivity. This is because the free electrons in highly conductive metals can easily move and reflect light.

How is the reflection of different metals used in everyday life?

The reflection of different metals is used in various applications, such as mirrors, shiny surfaces on cars and buildings, and reflective coatings on sunglasses and solar panels. It is also used in industrial processes, such as in metal polishing and plating, to achieve a reflective surface.