Prime number problem, pure maths, explain this solution

In summary, the solution to proving that for every k >= 2 there exists a number with precisely k divisors involves choosing a prime number p and letting n = p^(k-1). By considering the numbers 1, p, p^2, ..., p^(k-1), it can be determined that n has exactly k divisors. This is because only the numbers 1, p, p^2, ..., p^(k-1) divide n, and no other numbers do. Therefore, this solution satisfies the given problem.
smiddy

Homework Statement

Prove that for every k >= 2 there exists a number with precisely k divisors.

I know the solution, but don't fully understand it, here it is;

Consider any prime p. Let n = p^(k-1). An integer divides n if and only if it has the form p^i where 0<= i <= (k-1). There are k choices for i, therefore n has exactly k divisors.

Could someone fully explain the thought process involved in finding the solution, I understand p^i etc, just don't know where p^(k-1) comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you understood the though process, you'd know where [tex]p^{k-1}[/tex] came from. Given the problem, one can decide to be clever and take a prime, say p. Then if we look at

1,p,p2,...pk-1

Then 1, p, p2, ... ,pk-1 all divide pk-1, and no other numbers do. Hence, we found a number with exactly k divisors

1. What is the prime number problem?

The prime number problem is a mathematical problem that seeks to find a way to determine whether a given number is a prime number or not. Prime numbers are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and itself, without leaving a remainder. This problem has been studied for centuries and is still an active area of research in pure mathematics.

2. How do you determine if a number is a prime number?

There are several methods for determining if a number is prime. One common method is to use trial division, where you divide the number by every integer from 2 to the square root of the number and check for remainders. If there are no remainders, the number is prime. Other methods include the Sieve of Eratosthenes and the AKS primality test.

3. What is the significance of prime numbers?

Prime numbers have many applications in pure mathematics, number theory, and cryptography. They are the building blocks of all other numbers and have unique properties that make them essential in many mathematical proofs. Prime numbers also play a crucial role in encryption algorithms, making them important in modern technology.

4. Can there be an infinite number of prime numbers?

Yes, there is an infinite number of prime numbers. This was first proven by Euclid in his famous proof that there are an infinite number of primes. The proof states that if there were a finite number of prime numbers, you could multiply them all together and add one to get a new prime number, thus contradicting the assumption that there were only a finite number of primes.

5. What is the solution to the prime number problem?

The prime number problem does not have a single solution. As mentioned before, there are various methods for determining if a number is prime, but there is no known formula or algorithm that can quickly determine the primality of any number. This problem is still an active area of research, and there may be new breakthroughs in the future that could lead to a complete solution.