Quantized flux in superconductors

In summary: One example is this:"In summary, a few fullerenes are known to be superconducting with a relatively low Tc. However, this has no relevance to the question at hand.
zen loki
I read that most type-2 superconductors have one quantum of flux (2*pi*h-bar/e) per flux filament (fluxon), but that a few have a different value (were fullerenes one of them?). I mentioned this to an professor I am doing some research for, and he challenged what I read. Now, I can't find what I read earlier.
I have searched all day, but I can find anything addressing this.

Has anyone heard of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantized flux in fullerenes? Since when did fullerenes become superconducting?

Zz.

Some fullerenes are superconducting but their Tc is pretty low, of the order of a few hundred mK if I remember correctly. However, I don't think that is relevant here.

You can indeed find Phi0/2 flux in some situations. There are a number of ways you can realize this experimentally. The most straightforward way is to use a d-wave superconductor (i.e. all known high-Tc supererconductor). These have an intrinsic phase shift of pi in their order parameter as you move from one lobe to the next you (there are four lobes 90 degrees apart with alternating sign +-+- and nodes inbetween where the gap disappers).

Now, this means that it is possible to use these superconductors (e.g. YBCO) to create "frustrated" situations where an interface has a + lobe on one side and a a - lobe on the other; when you cross the interface you therefore get an additional phase shift of pi. If you now make a ring with one such interface the ground state energy will be such that a phi0/2 flux will be spontaniously generated (to screen the currents in the ring).

This was done in a well know experiement by Kirtley and Tsuei a few years ago, it was an important experiment since it confirmed that the order parameter in high-Tc is ineed d-wave whereas it is s-wave in most low-Tc superonductors (aluminium, niobiúm etc, there are some p-wave superconductors as well).

Nowadays people are actually trying to use phi0/2 quanta in various systems, one idea is to use them to create memories for RSFQ circuits. Hilgenkamp and co-workers at the University of Twente have done a lot of work on this.

You can also, at least in principle, realize systems like this using SFS-junctions etc.

You can find a lot of information of you google the names above,

Look e.g. at

http://cmd.tnw.utwente.nl/research/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys.

The link with papers on mixing superconductors with different order parameters looks to be particularly useful.

Can you give some examples or references of superconducting fullerenes? I would be very interested in it.
Thanks

What is quantized flux in superconductors?

Quantized flux in superconductors refers to the phenomenon where magnetic flux is confined to discrete values, rather than being continuous. This is due to the quantum nature of superconductors, where electrons pair up and move without resistance, creating a perfect flow of current.

How is quantized flux measured?

Quantized flux can be measured using a device called a SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device). This device uses the principle of quantum tunneling to detect changes in magnetic flux and convert them into an electrical signal.

What is the significance of quantized flux in superconductors?

The quantization of flux in superconductors is a crucial aspect of their behavior and properties. It allows for the creation of highly sensitive magnetic field detectors and is a key factor in the development of superconducting technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

Can quantized flux be observed in all superconductors?

No, quantized flux is only observed in type II superconductors, which have a mixed state of both superconducting and normal regions. Type I superconductors do not show quantization of flux as they have a complete expulsion of magnetic fields.

How does temperature affect quantized flux in superconductors?

The quantization of flux in superconductors is temperature-dependent. As the temperature of the superconductor increases, the number of discrete flux values decreases until it disappears completely above the critical temperature, where the material loses its superconducting properties.