Pulleys and Gravity: Solving Acceleration for m1 & m2

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two masses connected by a frictionless pulley. The masses have different coefficients of static friction and the question asks for the acceleration of the system in two different scenarios. The equations used to solve the problem are shown, but it is noted that the equation for static friction should not be assumed to equal the maximum value. The conversation ends with the suggestion to reason out the solution rather than relying solely on equations.
ace214
In Figure P4.30, m1 = 9.5 kg and m2 = 3.5 kg. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.60 while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30.

p4-30.gif
(Why can't I post this image in the message?)
In case you don't feel like looking at the picture, there are two masses connected by a frictionless pulley- m1 is on the table, m2 is hanging off the table.

(a) If the system is released from rest, what will its acceleration be?
(b) If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?

=========================================

I assume that the basic equation is the same for both parts just with different coefficients of friction. (Is this correct?) So I start with

m1a1 = T - forceFriction
m2a1 = T - m2g

Then I plug in -a1 for a2 in the second problem giving me -m2a1 = T - m2g => m2a1 = -T +m2g

Then add these two equations together, canceling out the tension.

m1a1 + m2a1 = m2g - Ff => a1(m1 + m2) = m2g - Ff

Then I solve for a using +9.8 for g in all cases. I eventually get -1.66 but this is not the answer. WebAssign says it differs by order of magnitude...

==========================================

I think something may be wrong with my signs in one way or another but I have tried multiple ways. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• p4-30.gif
    p4-30.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 638
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you combining the two questions? You should treat them separately. The equations will be the same except that the frictional force will be different.

Yes, that's what I said. No, I have just tried one (using the static friction) to see if I've got it right, because feedback is given immediately. I didn't want to use up all my chances in both.

Any help as to the answer?

static case

Realize that static friction can have any value up to the maximum of [itex]\mu N[/itex]; you can't just say that it equals that maximum value. The first thing you have to answer is: Can the hanging mass exert enough force to overcome the static friction?

Have you considered for case (a) that the block would not accelerate (i.e. zero acceleration)?

Hint: Does m2 generate enough force to overcome the static friction force of m1?

Ahhh.. Ok. But shouldn't the equations have worked anyway and just gotten 0?
Also, I got it to work for kinetic friction.

ace214 said:
But shouldn't the equations have worked anyway and just gotten 0?
No, because your equation had friction = [itex]\mu N[/itex], which isn't true for static friction. (Static friction is less than or equal to that maximum value, as needed.)

Also, I got it to work for kinetic friction.
Sure, since kinetic friction does equal [itex]\mu N[/itex].

So is there a way to plug it into such an equation or will it always be "is this force greater than friction?"

The fact that you got a negative acceleration should have been a tip-off. You should know that the only way this thing could accelerate is in the + direction (to the right and down).

But there's no substitute for reasoning it out.

Ok, thanks a lot.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, allowing heavy objects to be lifted with less effort.

2. How does gravity affect the motion of objects in a pulley system?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In a pulley system, gravity is responsible for the acceleration of the objects, as it causes them to move towards the ground. The mass of the objects and the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of objects in a pulley system?

The acceleration of objects in a pulley system can be calculated using the formula a = (m2-m1)g / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. What is the difference between m1 and m2 in the acceleration formula?

m1 and m2 represent the masses of the two objects in the pulley system. m1 is the mass of the object that is being lifted, while m2 is the mass of the object that is pulling down on the pulley. The difference between these two masses affects the acceleration of the system.

5. How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration of objects?

The angle of the pulley affects the acceleration of objects in a pulley system by changing the direction of the force applied to the objects. The more horizontal the pulley is, the less the force of gravity will be directed towards the lifting object, resulting in a slower acceleration. On the other hand, a more vertical pulley will result in a faster acceleration due to a more direct pull of gravity on the lifting object.