Microsoft Interview Brain Ache

In summary, the solution to getting all 4 women across the bridge in 17 minutes is to have 1 and 2 go across, 1 comes back, 3 and 4 go across, 2 comes back, and then 1 and 2 go across again. This will take a total of 17 minutes.
Inkcoder
A question that was asked in a Microsoft Interview:

There are 4 women who want to cross a bridge. They all begin on the same side. You have 17 minutes to get all of them across to the other side. It is night. There is one flashlight. A maximum of two people can cross at one time. Any party who crosses, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be walked back and forth, it cannot be thrown, etc. Each woman walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower woman's pace.

Woman 1: 1 minute to cross
Woman 2: 2 minutes to cross
Woman 3: 5 minutes to cross
Woman 4: 10 minutes to cross

For example if Woman 1 and Woman 4 walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed when they get to the other side of the bridge. If Woman 4 then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and you have failed the mission. What is the order required to get all women across in 17 minutes?

I'm still working it, and Google most likely holds the answer but try to figure it out on your own.
-Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
Not too bad.

Solution.
1,2 go across. 1 comes back. 5,10 go across. 2 comes back. 1,2 go across. (2 + 1 + 10 + 2 + 2 = 17)

This problem took me a while but once you figure it out, you'll kick yourself in the butt. Naturally, you think 19 minutes is the time you need for them to all go across but it's actually only 16.

What I thought was that if 10 and 5 go separate, it's 15 minutes which is obviously too much. So knowing this, you know that 5 and 10 must go together. How to do this is:

1,2 go across.
1 goes back.
3,4 go across.
2 goes back.
1 goes across.

This comes out to 2+1+10+2+1 = 16 minutes.

Last edited:
Tone.Tran said:
This problem took me a while but once you figure it out, you'll kick yourself in the butt. Naturally, you think 19 minutes is the time you need for them to all go across but it's actually only 16.

What I thought was that if 10 and 5 go separate, it's 15 minutes which is obviously too much. So knowing this, you know that 5 and 10 must go together. How to do this is:

1,2 go across.
1 goes back.
3,4 go across.
2 goes back.
1 goes across.

This comes out to 2+1+10+2+1 = 16 minutes.

But 2 has to go with 1 back across, so their trip takes 2 minutes, hence the total time is 17.

Woops, my mistake there. 17 is correct.

1. What is "Microsoft Interview Brain Ache"?

"Microsoft Interview Brain Ache" is a term used to describe the intense mental exhaustion and stress that can be experienced during the interview process at Microsoft. It is a common feeling among job applicants who are preparing for or undergoing interviews at the company.

2. Why is the Microsoft interview process so mentally taxing?

The Microsoft interview process is known for being rigorous and challenging. The company looks for top talent and expects candidates to demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and technical knowledge. This can be mentally taxing as it requires a lot of preparation and critical thinking.

3. How can I prepare for the Microsoft interview process?

To prepare for the Microsoft interview process, it is important to research the company and the role you are applying for. Familiarize yourself with the company's products and services, and practice coding and problem-solving exercises. It can also be helpful to reach out to current or former employees for insights and tips.

4. What types of questions can I expect during a Microsoft interview?

The types of questions asked during a Microsoft interview can vary depending on the role and level of position. However, they typically involve technical and analytical problem-solving, behavioral and situational questions, and a discussion of your past experiences and achievements. It is important to be prepared for a wide range of questions.

5. How can I handle the stress of a Microsoft interview?

The best way to handle the stress of a Microsoft interview is to stay calm and focused. Take breaks when needed and make sure to get enough rest and sleep before the interview. It can also be helpful to practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, and to remember that it is normal to feel nervous during an interview. Remember to stay confident and be yourself.