Finding Wavelength: Physics Question Answered

• Thread starter zachcumer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation is about finding the wavelength of a mosquito flapping its wings at 600 Hz and radio waves at 100 MHz. The formula wavelength = velocity/frequency is used and the correct units need to be converted. The final answer for the radio waves is 3 meters.
zachcumer
Hey,
I have to answer this question in Physics: A mosquito flaps its wings at 600 vibrations a second, find the wavelength...

What I thought to solve it was to take 340 meters per second divided by 600 Hz...which equals roughly .6... is that correct? If so another problem states that Radio Waves travel at the speed of light 300,000 km/s...What is the wavelength of radio waves received at 100 MHz...I thought 300000/100...maybe?

dunno

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
based on the equation wavelength = velocity/frequency I believe you are correct for the bug. make sure your units are converted to m/s and into hz for the second problem. I can't remember the magnitude of a mega-hz so you may be correct in saying they cancel out to Meters, but I would say you are using the formula correctly

[tex]v=f\lambda[/tex]

I think that is the equation you will need. Put the numbers you have into in, and rearrange. =]

Use [itex]c=f \lambda[/itex]

all EM waves travel at c=3x10[itex]^8[/itex] and the prefix-M (Mega) is [itex]10^6[/itex]

so its 300000/1000000?

zachcumer said:
so its 300000/1000000?

A megaherz is 10^6 Hz, so 100 Mhz is 10^8. Better use exponential notation than
all those zero's. If you want the wavelength in meters, you have to convert the
speed of light in m/s.

zachcumer said:
so its 300000/1000000?

Not exactly but you are on the right lines:

300,000 km/s = 300,000,000 m/s
100MHz = 100,000,000 Hz or 100,000,000 [1/s]

[300,000,000 / 100,000,000] = [m/s]/[1/s] = [m]

So you will get a answer in metres if you divide the Speed of light in m/s with the number of hertz.

Thanks...so its 3 meters...thanks..

1. What is wavelength?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points of a wave that are in phase, or have the same point in their cycle. It is typically measured in meters (m).

2. How is wavelength measured?

Wavelength is measured by finding the distance between two consecutive points of a wave that are in phase. This can be done using a ruler or by using specialized tools such as an oscilloscope.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is governed by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

4. What are some real-life examples of wavelength?

Some examples of wavelength in real life include the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs of a water wave, the distance between two consecutive compressions or rarefactions in a sound wave, and the distance between two consecutive peaks in an electromagnetic wave such as light.

5. How does wavelength affect the properties of waves?

Wavelength is directly related to the energy and frequency of a wave. Longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and less energy, while shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and more energy. Wavelength also affects the behavior of waves, such as how they diffract and interfere with each other.