High-Pressure Combustion Research: Investigating Spherical Flame Expansion

In summary, Jaap is a researcher who has captured high speed images of expanding flames and is seeking advice on how to improve them. Andy compliments the current images and asks for clarification on what kind of improvement Jaap is looking for. Jaap explains that this is his first time combining schlieren with high speed photography and is looking for general tips and suggestions.
jaap de vries
Hey Y'all,

As some of you might know I do combustion research I took high speed images of a spherically expanding flames. Look what happens at high pressure.

The flame brakes up into cells. Is there anybody that is a photo expert and that can give me advise on how to improve these images?

Jaap

Attachments

• 112_50.jpg
    112_50.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That image looks pretty good as-is. Nice even background illumination, good contrast, good focus. What kind of improvement are you looking for?

Thanks Andy,

I thought it came out OK too.

This is my first experience doing a combination of schlieren with high speed photography so I thought maybe there are people that could give me general hints etc.

Jaap

1. What is high-pressure combustion research?

High-pressure combustion research is a field of study that focuses on understanding and improving the combustion process at high pressures, typically above 10 bar. This research is important for various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and energy, as it can lead to more efficient and cleaner combustion processes.

2. What is spherical flame expansion?

Spherical flame expansion is a phenomenon that occurs during the combustion process at high pressures. It refers to the expansion of a spherical flame front as it propagates through a combustible mixture. This expansion can significantly impact the overall combustion process and is therefore an important area of study in high-pressure combustion research.

3. How is spherical flame expansion investigated?

Spherical flame expansion is typically investigated through experimental studies using specialized equipment such as high-pressure combustion chambers and laser diagnostics. These experiments allow researchers to observe and measure the behavior of the flame front under various conditions and make conclusions about its expansion characteristics.

4. Why is high-pressure combustion research important?

High-pressure combustion research is important because it can lead to improved combustion processes that are more efficient and produce fewer harmful emissions. This is crucial for addressing environmental concerns and meeting stricter regulations in various industries. It also has the potential to improve the performance and reliability of engines and other combustion systems.

5. What are some potential applications of high-pressure combustion research?

High-pressure combustion research has a wide range of potential applications, including improving the efficiency and emissions of internal combustion engines, developing cleaner and more efficient energy production methods, and enhancing the performance and safety of aerospace propulsion systems. It can also have implications for materials science and chemical engineering, as the combustion process is closely linked to the properties and behavior of materials at high pressures.