Can earthbound fiber optics replace communication satellites?

In summary, Loren suggests that the new US Air Force TV advertisement, where a satellite is taken down by an ASAT, is what he is referring to. He also believes that fibre optics are a much better option than satellites for mobile communications and that they are likely to remain in use for some time to come.
Loren Booda
With the threat of satellites being blown up, would fiber optics offer a practical alternative for communications or other applications?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What threat? And yes.

russ_watters said:
What threat? And yes.

I think Loren is referring to the new US Air Force TV advertisement -- the one where a satellite gets taken out by an ASAT. I'll see if I can find a copy...

berkeman said:
I think Loren is referring to the new US Air Force TV advertisement -- the one where a satellite gets taken out by an ASAT. I'll see if I can find a copy...

USAF Space Command: http://www.afspc.af.mil/

Kind of like the "Space" video at this site: http://www.airforce.com/achangingworld/ but with an ASAT shootdown of the satellite to help motivate the recruiting message.

I thought the biggest threat to satelites was space junk.
NORAD [north american radar air defence or stg like that?] scan space for space junk and can find anything above 4 incehs. I've heard.
also that satellites must occasionally {or regularly?] be moved out of the way of space junk which can be quite devastating if it hits: [a particle that almost destroyed a window on the shuttle turned out to be a speck of paint moving at several km/s from some space junk].

fiber optics are great.
i believe the usa and europe are linked fiber optically!
i remember 10 yrs ago calling the usa, there was a 4-5 second delay.
now it just as if the person is next door! and the bandwidth is pretty darn good

i think the big big advantage of satellites is that they allow for mobile communications, so that a tv crew in the middle of pretty much anywhere can set up a live tv feed to pretty much anywhere in the world. also for crazy people sailing across the atlantic, satellite phones are pretty handy! i don't see them being replaced. [at least not until the next big coronal mass ejection!]

Fibre optics pretty much replaced satelite 10years ago for most phone/internet links
In fact one of the big issues in fibre today is that there is nothing like enough satelite capacity if a fibre gies down.

Earth is wired up pretty good

http://www.telegeography.com/products/map_cable/images/sub_cable_2007_large.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool map, waht. How can one zoom in more than one power? I'd like to read the fine print.

Yea me too, I haven't found any close up shots of the map.

You might find this clip also intersting

Last edited by a moderator:
Good education, that clip. Toward the end, though, I thought the narrator referred to photons as "charges."

This is a hybrid cable where fiber and electrical wires are bundled together. The electrical wires provide power to the laser repeaters every 50 Km or so.

Ingenious.

1. Can earthbound fiber optics replace communication satellites?

Yes, earthbound fiber optics can potentially replace communication satellites for certain types of communication. Fiber optics use light to transmit information through thin glass or plastic fibers, allowing for fast and reliable data transfer. This technology has been used for long-distance communication on land and can potentially be extended to replace communication satellites.

2. How does the cost compare between earthbound fiber optics and communication satellites?

The cost of earthbound fiber optics is typically lower than that of communication satellites. Installing and maintaining fiber optic cables is generally less expensive than launching and maintaining satellites. However, the cost of laying fiber optic cables in remote or difficult-to-access areas may be higher than launching a satellite.

3. What are the advantages of using earthbound fiber optics over communication satellites?

Some potential advantages of using earthbound fiber optics over communication satellites include faster data transfer speeds, lower latency, and higher bandwidth. Additionally, fiber optics are not affected by weather conditions, unlike satellite communication which can be disrupted by storms or other environmental factors.

4. Are there any limitations to using earthbound fiber optics for communication?

One limitation of using earthbound fiber optics for communication is the physical distance that can be covered. While fiber optic cables can be extended over thousands of kilometers, communication satellites can cover much larger distances, making them more suitable for global communication. Additionally, fiber optic cables may be vulnerable to damage from construction or natural disasters, which could interrupt communication.

5. Is there potential for a hybrid system that combines earthbound fiber optics and communication satellites?

Yes, there is potential for a hybrid system that combines both earthbound fiber optics and communication satellites. This could potentially provide the benefits of both technologies, such as high-speed data transfer and global coverage. However, this would require significant infrastructure and coordination between the two systems.