Critically damped, or underdamped, or overdamped?

• Thread starter wiz0r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damped
In summary, the conversation involves solving a second order transient circuit to determine if it is critically damped, underdamped, or overdamped. The suggested approach is to find the voltage and current at steady state before the voltage and current sources are removed, then use mesh analysis and initial conditions to solve for the current and voltage after the switch is opened. The method involves using KCL and making a supernode around the inductor, and using V=LdI/dt for the inductor. The voltage across R4 can be found by multiplying R4 with the current going through it.
wiz0r

Homework Statement

Hello, I got to solve the following second order transient circuit. Obviously, what I need to do first is to find if its critically damped, underdamped, or overdamped.

The circuit can be found in the attachment.

Homework Equations

Depends, weather the circuit is critically damped, underdamped, or overdamped.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, what I do is to remove the voltage source by a short and the current source by an open circuit, then assume the switch will be opened at t>0, so there will be an open circuit where the switch was. Then try to find if its a series RLC or a parallel RLC, exactly, how can I do that? I need to know if its a series RLC or parallel RLC to determine weather the circuit is critically damped, underdamped, or overdamped.

Any help would be gladly appreciated!

Attachments

• fullcircuit.JPG
    fullcircuit.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 803
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't start off by assuming one of the three possible damping modes. Just find the voltage across the capacitor and current through the inductor at steady state before the voltage and current source and shorted and removed respectively and the switch is opened at t=0. Once you do that you can write out a couple of mesh analysis equations and solve them for current through inductor and capacitor for t>0. Your initial conditions to solve the DE would be the current through the inductor and voltage across the capacitor at t=0.

Only after you have done all these, then you'll be able to tell if this is either under damped, critically damped or overdamped from the mathematical expresssion.

I'd do the following:

1. get the initial voltage one either side of the inductor (they are the same 4 V).
2. after the switch closes, get a Norton or Thevenin equivalent for the entire part to the left of the inductor.
3. make a supernode around the inductor. write an equation for it.
4. use that V = LdI/dt for an inductor.
5. solve the system you get.

If all you need is the voltage across the capacitor or something at the end like that, it might be worth it to treat this problem as cascaded 2-port networks and find the T matrix for each.

EDIT: whether or not your circuit is over-/under-/critically damped just depends on the solution to the equation you get. There's no point in trying to guess what it is beforehand.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the answer, guys.

However, I had something wrong. The switch is actually closed, and it will open at t = 0. Also, I need to find V(t) of resistance number 4 (R4) Could any of you tell me what would you do? Basically, a hint to start doing the problem?

Thanks a lot.

1. use KCL to get initial current through L and voltage across C (maybe find an equivalent cct for the left part, although, I doubt it would be any easier to do that)
2. make supernode around inductor
3. use V=L dI/dt for inductor
4. solve the differential equations
5. the voltage across R4 is R4 * I (where I goes through R4)

1. What is critically damped, underdamped, and overdamped?

Critically damped, underdamped, and overdamped refer to the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator, which is a system that experiences oscillations that decrease over time due to damping forces. The terms describe how quickly the system returns to equilibrium after being disturbed.

2. How does critically damped differ from underdamped and overdamped?

Critically damped describes a system that returns to equilibrium as quickly as possible without oscillating, while underdamped systems return to equilibrium with some oscillation and overdamped systems return to equilibrium slowly without any oscillation.

3. What factors determine whether a system is critically damped, underdamped, or overdamped?

The damping coefficient, mass, and spring constant of the system all play a role in determining its behavior. Critically damped systems have a damping coefficient equal to the critical damping coefficient, while underdamped systems have a damping coefficient less than the critical damping coefficient and overdamped systems have a damping coefficient greater than the critical damping coefficient.

4. What is the critical damping coefficient?

The critical damping coefficient is a value that represents the minimum amount of damping necessary for a system to return to equilibrium without oscillating. It is calculated using the mass and spring constant of the system.

5. What are some real-world examples of critically damped, underdamped, and overdamped systems?

Critically damped systems can be found in shock absorbers in cars, where a smooth ride is important. Underdamped systems can be seen in pendulums or bouncing balls, where some oscillation is desired. Overdamped systems can be found in door closers or shock absorbers that are too stiff, resulting in a slow return to equilibrium without any oscillation.