Integrate on a triangular domain

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration on a triangular domain using simplex coordinates. The question arises about the Jacobian and how to calculate it when there are two variables and three equations. The use of a mesh of triangles on a 3D sphere is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consult a calculus book for further assistance.
daudaudaudau
Hi!

I have to integrate on a triangular domain

[tex]
\int_T f(x,y,z)dxdydz
[/tex]

so I use simplex coordinates, i.e.
[tex]x=(1-\alpha-\beta)x_1+\alpha x_2+\beta x_3[/tex]
[tex]y=(1-\alpha-\beta)y_1+\alpha y_2+\beta y_3[/tex]
[tex]z=(1-\alpha-\beta)z_1+\alpha z_2+\beta z_3[/tex]

where [tex](x_i,y_i,z_i)[/tex] are the vertices of the triangle and [tex] 0\le\alpha\le1,\ 0\le\beta\le1-\alpha[/tex]

So what is the Jacobian? When I try to calculate it, the matrix is not square because I have two variables and three equations!

Physics news on Phys.org
daudaudaudau said:
I have to integrate on a triangular domain

[tex]\int_T f(x,y,z)dxdydz[/tex]

So what is the Jacobian? When I try to calculate it, the matrix is not square because I have two variables and three equations!

Hi daudaudaudau! :smile:

By "triangular domain", do you mean a two-dimensional surface?

If so, you can't have a triple integral, can you (not enough independent variables)? :rolleyes:

Which is why the matrix isn't square! :smile:

Can you tell us what "f" is? Or did you already figure your problem out?

Tiny Tim's comment is "right on" given the way you stated your problem, but, maybe you mistated it.

"f" is just some scalar function, I don't think it matters.

Here is what I am doing: I have tessellated a sphere into a mesh of triangles, and I have to integrate over these individual triangles. So obviously the triangles are plane but they also have both x, y, and z coordinates because they make up the 3D sphere.

I hope you understand me now.

Oh, yeah, I got you now. You have a differential 3-form f(x,y,z)dxdydz on R3 and you need to cut it down so that it can be integrated over a two-dimensional surface in R3. I remember Apostle's calculus book had an explanation of how to do that that I understood when I was a first year graduate student. I never actually had to do it. If anything occurs to me, I'll let you know. At least I understand what you are trying to do.
Deacon John

I can see my library has one(don't know if it's the right one, it just says "Apostol - Calculus"), so I will go and have a look at it. Thank you.

1. What is a triangular domain?

A triangular domain is a two-dimensional region bounded by three straight lines, forming a triangle. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a finite area for integration.

2. How is integration done on a triangular domain?

The integration on a triangular domain is usually done by dividing the triangle into smaller sub-triangles and then applying integration techniques, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to each sub-triangle. The results are then summed up to get the overall integral value.

3. What are the benefits of integrating on a triangular domain?

Integrating on a triangular domain allows for more accurate and efficient calculations compared to other integration methods, especially when the function being integrated is defined on a triangular domain. It also allows for better visual representation of the integration region.

4. Can integration be done on any type of triangular domain?

Yes, integration can be done on any type of triangular domain, as long as the boundaries of the triangle are well-defined and the function being integrated is continuous on the domain.

5. Are there any challenges in integrating on a triangular domain?

One of the main challenges in integrating on a triangular domain is the complexity of the integration process, especially when dealing with irregular or non-uniform triangles. It also requires a good understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and techniques for accurate results.