Describe your experience of falling in love

In summary, the experience of falling in love is often described as a euphoric feeling at the early stages, with intense emotions and changes in perception when in the presence of the loved one. However, it is also noted that love takes work and may involve infatuation, preoccupation, and emotional distress in the absence of the loved one. There is a wide range of personal experiences with falling in love, and it cannot be fully understood without having experienced it oneself. Some individuals have not yet experienced falling in love, while others have had relationships that only last a few months due to compatibility or maturity issues. Physical intimacy can also play a significant role in a relationship, but ultimately, it is about finding someone who
Loren Booda
Describe your experience of "falling in love"

:tongue: :confused: :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
I've yet to experience falling in love with somebody. I heard that there's this euphoric feeling at the early stages of love, but I also get the same feeling from reading a book I find stimulating.

Last edited:
uh well.. I don't think I got proper explanation for it.
I fell in love with a chick at high-school. I kinda idolized her, she had this angelic face and she was reflective and calm. She played the cello and had curly blond hair to her shoulders.I can't remember when I first started feeling stuff.
Then everytime I looked at her my heart bumped. When she was standing too close I had hard to concentrate on anything else. At one of my school pictures she stood beside me and I had suuuch a red face lol. But it's a good and warm feeling. hm.
I was in love with her at my last two years at high school, but I never dared say anything to her. Also because I thought she thought I was stupid. But I should have said something, or done something.

I walked past a mirror and POW! love at first sight.

OK, being serious now. I suppose when I was FIRST in love there were a lot of feelings running through me... the sight of my (then) girlfriend would cause my heart to jump and start racing. Sometimes it would cause to me to make a fool of myself...but then again, no more than usual. All I could do was think about her and being close to her just made me feel real special... I suppose as time went on, all these feelings dulled down, I still loved her, but I suppose it was less...intense. And then eventually, as the cookie crumbles, we broke up and now I am back to the cynical little man I used to be.

Jim, one things for sure, a funny one you are.

when i first saw my daughter a moment after she was born, i was "in love"...i have learned that love between a man and woman takes work, a lot of work.

To state it simply I would say it's mostly characterized by euphoria in the accepting presence of the loved one, and infatuated preoccupation or even overexaggerated emotional distress in the absence of the loved one. Very strong and persisting emotions, to the extent of changing one's way of perceiving the world, while it the peak aspects last. Profound feelings of sentimentality, joy, carefreeness, etc.

That said, no explanation will be adequate to capture the full range of the experience to someone who has not experienced it. Despite some resemblences, romantic love isn't just a linear combination of more common 'everyday' emotions (such fondness, euphoria, familial love, etc); it's really a novel emotional state in its own right, so one who hasn't experienced it can't quite reconstruct it using analogies to one's everyday experiential reservoir.

I've never been in love. I've been infatuated, had a few crushes, but nothing I'd call love.

I've met some great guys, funny, smart, nice, but I rarely have a relationship that lasts longer than three months. I just don't see the point in dragging out something that isn't right. I've even been married due to pressure to settle down and have a family, but it was horrible.

Oh well. At least I am not in a bad relationship. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I've never been in love. I've been infatuated, had a few crushes, but nothing I'd call love.

I've met some great guys, funny, smart, nice, but I rarely have a relationship that lasts longer than three months. I just don't see the point in dragging out something that isn't right. I've even been married due to pressure to settle down and have a family, but it was horrible.

Oh well. At least I am not in a bad relationship. :biggrin:
three months? that's horrible! Here's a question, don't be offended, do you sleep with someone right away? I've dated for three months before sleeping with someone, if you don't sleep with someone right away do you break up with them soon after you have sex? I only ask because I want to sleep with you. lol just kidding, I ask because there has to be a reason why you only last three months and in my opinion sex is a big part of a relationship-that's why I'm so damn good at it.

tribdog said:
three months? that's horrible! Here's a question, don't be offended, do you sleep with someone right away? I've dated for three months before sleeping with someone, if you don't sleep with someone right away do you break up with them soon after you have sex?
I wouldn't say that I sleep with them right away, but within the three months. How can you wait three months?? No, I don't break up with them soon after sex. It's not the sex, it's usually an issue of compatabitly or maturity. I know what I want and need, unfortunately, most people don't. I would rather be alone than be miserable in a relationship where I had to compromise myself. Ok, except once I refused a second date with a wonderful guy because he was the worst kisser I had ever encountered. I almost drowned. :eek:

tribdog said:
I only ask because I want to sleep with you. lol just kidding, I ask because there has to be a reason why you only last three months and in my opinion sex is a big part of a relationship-that's why I'm so damn good at it.
It's compatibility. heheh, hmmmm, well, I'll just have to believe you, won't I?

Last edited:
Don't take my word for it. ask jimmy p

and what would you be implying ther Mr. Dog?

OH, so now it's Mister, is it? Well, Mr. Cold as Ice you get what you want and it's so long, la di da. I see how you are.

I always thought you liked having the authority, you know taking command and that... well you USED to like it!

Lol, you make me laugh.
Kinda cute too. Whatcha doin' later?
Same time, same place? I've got brussel sprouts!

ooh brussel sprouts? you DO love me! I'll bring the...you know :wink:

Couldn't think of anything funny huh? it's okay, it happens.
Listen, there's nothing I'd rather do than go back and forth with you all night on the message board, but I have something I'd rather do. So I got to go.

Feed the girlfriend to the hounds?? OK have fun. Actually, I was leaving an air of ambiguity so that the other readers could make their own assumptions on the whole sordid affair.

I think my last post to the insanity thread is going to get me in trouble.

LOL yeah I read it. Most amusing in a kinda naughty way.

just like you. lol I really got to go

HEY, I'm not stopping you. I know I'm the most irresistable force in the Universe, but if you got to go, you better WILL yourself to leave.

1. What is the scientific explanation for falling in love?

Falling in love is a complex biological and psychological process that involves the release of hormones, such as dopamine and oxytocin, which create feelings of pleasure, attachment, and trust. It also involves the activation of certain brain regions, such as the reward and decision-making centers, which play a role in forming and maintaining romantic relationships.

2. How does falling in love affect the brain?

When we fall in love, our brain experiences changes in its chemistry and structure. The release of hormones and activation of specific brain regions can lead to increased focus, motivation, and attachment to the person we are in love with. It can also impact our decision-making and emotional processing, making us more willing to take risks and overlook flaws in our partner.

3. Is falling in love a choice or a biological response?

While there are certainly factors that can influence our attraction to someone, such as shared interests and values, falling in love is largely a biological response. It is not something we consciously choose, but rather a natural and instinctual process that is influenced by our evolutionary history and genetics.

4. Can people fall in love at first sight?

Some people may claim to have experienced love at first sight, but from a scientific perspective, it is unlikely. Falling in love involves getting to know someone on a deeper level and developing a strong emotional and physical connection. This cannot be achieved simply by looking at someone for the first time.

5. Is there a difference between being in love and loving someone?

Being in love and loving someone are often used interchangeably, but there are some distinctions. Being in love typically refers to the intense emotions and attraction we feel towards someone in the early stages of a romantic relationship. Loving someone, on the other hand, is a deeper and more long-term emotion that involves caring for and wanting the best for that person. It is possible to be in love with someone without truly loving them, and vice versa.