Understanding how energy disappears

• Thread starter esvion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the "big freeze" as a possible end to the universe, in which all energy dissipates and the universe becomes cold and desolate. However, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be destroyed, leading to the question of where all the energy goes. The conversation also touches on the idea of energy being transformed into heat and how this applies to things like light bulbs and punching the air. In addition, the conversation briefly mentions the behavior of radio waves and their relation to electrons and photons.
esvion
I've been reading about the possible ends to the universe and I came across the "big freeze".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Freeze

In this scenario, all the energy in the Universe goes out and the Universe is cold and desolate with no stars. But the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be destroyed. Where did all this energy go then?

It's like when I punch something imaginary in mid air. What happens to the energy momentum in my fist after I am done punching? Does it vibrate the air molecules around me on such a small level into infinity?

I see energy disappear around me all the time, such as when a light bulb runs out. What happens to the photons that the light bulb was giving off the entire time before it burnt out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit:
How can electrons go through houses and what not. I was wondering about radio waves and how they're just electrons moving out of the broadcasting location. Do these electrons also continue forever into space? And how do they have enough energy to go on forever?? More importantly, can these radio wave electrons get bonded to something in some sort of electric-chemical reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
esvion said:
Edit:
How can electrons go through houses and what not. I was wondering about radio waves and how they're just electrons moving out of the broadcasting location. Do these electrons also continue forever into space? And how do they have enough energy to go on forever?? More importantly, can these radio wave electrons get bonded to something in some sort of electric-chemical reaction?

Radio waves are not electrons. They are electromagnetic waves, just like visible light, only with longer wavelengths and can be "diffracted" rather easily through openings like doors and windows.

Next time, you should not ask two very different questions in a single post/thread. It makes it confusing when people start responding to it.

Zz.

esvion said:
I've been reading about the possible ends to the universe and I came across the "big freeze".

In this scenario, all the energy in the Universe goes out and the Universe is cold and desolate with no stars. But the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be destroyed. Where did all this energy go then?
You are right - the energy of the universe has to be constant. In a "Big Freeze" scenario, as it says in the Wik link, the low temperature is due to the size of the univers: as the universe expands, the energy spreads out into more and more space, eventually becoming so diluted that the energy density is very low.

This, btw, is the reason that the cosmological micrwoave background radiation is so low of an energy (2.4 K iirc) despite being an 'image' of moments after the big bang.
It's like when I punch something imaginary in mid air. What happens to the energy momentum in my fist after I am done punching? Does it vibrate the air molecules around me on such a small level into infinity?

I see energy disappear around me all the time, such as when a light bulb runs out. What happens to the photons that the light bulb was giving off the entire time before it burnt out?
Most forms of energy are eventually dissipated as heat. A light bulb emits light, which is absorbed by your walls and floor and heats them.

When you punch the air, the energy is absorbed by your shoulder and muscles. That's why it hurts!

esvion said:

The energy does not vanish. It is just spread out more or less uniformly throughout an ever-growing universe. At the end of this scenario the whole universe will have the same temperature (slightly above 0 Kelvin), almost all matter will have collapsed to black holes which are so far apart (and still drifting away) from each other that there is almost no gravitational force left between them. The energy has just developed to a state where it cannot be transferred anymore because it is in thermal equilibrium.
But this scenario can only take place if the total mass in the universe is less than some critical value. If there is enough mass the universe will collapse due to its gravitation.

esvion said:
Yes. The kinetic energy of your fist will transform mostly into molecular chaotic movement = heat energy. Everything eventually ends up as heat
esvion said:
The photons are absorbed somewhere and transform their energy to heat eventually.

esvion said:

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves - just the same as light. Electromagnetic waves do not consist of electrons but of photons.

russ_watters said:
You are right - the energy of the universe has to be constant. In a "Big Freeze" scenario, as it says in the Wik link, the low temperature is due to the size of the univers: as the universe expands, the energy spreads out into more and more space, eventually becoming so diluted that the energy density is very low.
It is not generally known the fact that, even under the theory of BigBang, energy is not constant, is not conserved at large scale.
Only at local scale the conservation of energy is stated.
quoting from here:
http://preposterousuniverse.com/writings/cosmologyprimer/faq.html#energy
"Is energy conserved in an expanding universe?
This is a tricky question, depending on what you mean by "energy." Usually we ascribe energy to the different components of the universe (radiation, matter, dark energy), not including gravity itself. In that case the total energy, given by adding up the energy density in each component, is certainly not conserved. The most dramatic example occurs with dark energy -- the energy density (energy per unit volume) remains approximately constant, while the volume increases as the universe expands, so the total energy increases. But even ordinary radiation exhibits similar behavior; the number of photons remains constant, while each individual photon loses energy as it redshifts, so the total energy in radiation decreases. (A decrease in energy is just as much a violation of energy conservation as an increase would be.) In a sense, the energy in "stuff" is being transferred to the energy of the gravitational field, as manifested in the expansion of the universe. But there is no exact definition of "the energy of the gravitational field," so this explanation is imperfect. Nevertheless, although energy is not really conserved in an expanding universe, there is a very strict rule that is obeyed by the total energy, which reduces to perfect conservation when the expansion rate goes to zero; the expansion changes the rules, but that doesn't mean that anything goes.
"

Last edited by a moderator:
The original question of this post is about Big Freeze supported on 2nd law of thermodinamics.
But have a look to the universe and what do we see ?
If 2nd law holds than Life itself is not possible.
The universe is going on the path of constructing more and more complex structures. Starting on CMB quasi-homogeneus state the universe is now a much more non-homogeneus site.
So the 2nd law of Thermodynamics is not holding.
Universe decided to evolve the opposite way.

heldervelez said:
The original question of this post is about Big Freeze supported on 2nd law of thermodinamics.
But have a look to the universe and what do we see ?
If 2nd law holds than Life itself is not possible.
The universe is going on the path of constructing more and more complex structures. Starting on CMB quasi-homogeneus state the universe is now a much more non-homogeneus site.
So the 2nd law of Thermodynamics is not holding.
Universe decided to evolve the opposite way.

You're thinking of entropy in the wrong way. Entropy is not a system tending to disorder - disorder is merely a metaphor for entropy. A better way of thinking of it is as a degradation of energy. Amounts of energy are becoming unusable due to irreversible processes.

As an aside - the entropy decrease due to life on Earth is much lower than the increase caused by general processes. There's an quantative article on it somewhere. . . .

Found the abstract: http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=AJPIAS000076000011001031000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Quoting from from the abstract (I don't have access to the paper without paying) :
"Quantitative estimates of the entropy involved in biological evolution demonstrate that there is no conflict between evolution and the second law of thermodynamics."

I don't know what is the contents of that paper, but I'm able to say:

The living organisms use/consume free energy to construct complex structures.
They can hold only in a free and rich energy environment, not a closed system.

As you say,it is true "Amounts of energy are becoming unusable due to irreversible processes"
it holds clearly that the universe is agreggating matter/energy to provide such rich energy environments.
Smart Universe.

Unkraut said:
The energy does not vanish. It is just spread out more or less uniformly throughout an ever-growing universe. At the end of this scenario the whole universe will have the same temperature (slightly above 0 Kelvin), almost all matter will have collapsed to black holes which are so far apart (and still drifting away) from each other that there is almost no gravitational force left between them. The energy has just developed to a state where it cannot be transferred anymore because it is in thermal equilibrium.
But this scenario can only take place if the total mass in the universe is less than some critical value. If there is enough mass the universe will collapse due to its gravitation.

If my understanding is correct, which it may not be, wouldn't super-massive black holes be attracted to one another? So although a thermal equilibrium may be reached, the gravitational force of the black wholes would draw them all together? Leading to another possible big bang?

I mean, space, in essence, it a very complicated homogenous mixture, so although heat may be thoroughly dispersed, the density is only an average, not constant?

I'm sorry if my post was confusing :)

Hayley

Friesiangirl said:
If my understanding is correct, which it may not be, wouldn't super-massive black holes be attracted to one another? So although a thermal equilibrium may be reached, the gravitational force of the black wholes would draw them all together? Leading to another possible big bang?

I mean, space, in essence, it a very complicated homogenous mixture, so although heat may be thoroughly dispersed, the density is only an average, not constant?

I'm sorry if my post was confusing :)

Hayley

The black holes would be attracted to each other. But because the distance between them may be so great the force between them will be less than the dark energy expansion "forces" - just the same way that galaxies behave just now.

The density is average but the fate of the universe depends on this average density. If it is greater than the so called critical density then there will be enough force to pull the universe in together leading to a "Big crunch". If it is less tha critical density then what I first described will occur. And if it equals the density then there will be a form of equilibrium.

Ah, thank you. That cleared things up a bit.

Hayley

1. How does energy disappear?

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that energy does not actually disappear, but rather changes into a different type of energy or is transferred to another object or system.

2. What causes energy to disappear?

Energy can disappear due to several factors, such as friction, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. These processes involve the conversion of energy into other forms, resulting in a decrease in the overall amount of energy in a system.

3. Can energy disappear completely?

Energy can never completely disappear, as it always exists in some form. However, it can become so diffused or spread out that its effects become negligible or undetectable. For example, the heat energy from a hot cup of coffee will eventually dissipate into the surrounding environment, but it still exists in the form of tiny, random molecular motions.

4. Is there a limit to how much energy can disappear?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that energy cannot disappear beyond the boundaries of a system, but it can be transferred or transformed within the system.

5. How can we prevent energy from disappearing?

We cannot prevent energy from disappearing, as it is a fundamental law of nature. However, we can minimize the loss of energy by reducing energy waste and increasing efficiency in our energy use. This can be achieved through implementing sustainable practices and using renewable energy sources.