Relative Moving Charge: Electric vs Magnetic Field

In summary, if you are moving at a velocity v with respect to a single charge, charge q, you will observe a magnetic field with a strength of B = -\gamma\betaxE, where E is the electric field as measured in the charge's rest frame. The symbol \beta represents a vector.
jmnance
So what is the answer to "if I am moving at velocity v with respect to a single charge, charge q, will I see the electric field as I would at rest with respect to the charge, or will I see a magnetic field? what will be the strength of the magnetic field?"

Physics news on Phys.org
jmnance said:
So what is the answer to "if I am moving at velocity v with respect to a single charge, charge q, will I see the electric field as I would at rest with respect to the charge, or will I see a magnetic field? what will be the strength of the magnetic field?"

You will observe a magnetic field which has the value

B = -[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\beta[/itex]xE

where E is the electric field as measured in the charges rest frame. Note: that [itex]\beta[/itex] is supposed to be in bold because its a vector.

Pete

The answer to this question depends on the direction of the velocity v with respect to the charge q. If the velocity v is parallel to the direction of the charge q, then you will see the electric field as you would at rest with respect to the charge. This is because the electric field is caused by the presence of a stationary charge and is not affected by the motion of the observer.

However, if the velocity v is perpendicular to the direction of the charge q, then you will see both an electric field and a magnetic field. This is known as the Lorentz transformation and is a result of the relative motion between the observer and the charge.

The strength of the magnetic field will depend on the velocity v and the charge q. It is given by the equation B = (μ0qv)/4πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, q is the charge, v is the velocity, and r is the distance between the charge and the observer. As the velocity v increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

In summary, if you are moving at velocity v with respect to a single charge q, you will see both an electric field and a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field will depend on the velocity v and the charge q, and it will be stronger as the velocity increases.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are produced by stationary electric charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving electric charges. Electric fields exert forces on other electric charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving electric charges.

How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields are interconnected and can produce each other. A changing electric field can produce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can produce an electric field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other. The direction of the magnetic field is at a right angle to the direction of the electric field.

How does the movement of a charge affect the strength of the electric and magnetic fields?

The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charge. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the speed and direction of the moving charge, as well as the distance from the charge.

Can electric and magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Electric fields can be blocked by insulating materials, while magnetic fields can be partially blocked by conducting materials. However, both fields can be difficult to completely shield due to their ability to penetrate most materials.