What is the speed of the traveler ?

• Thread starter kevinlatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the speed of the traveler can be calculated by using the formula for time dilation, which is given by \sqrt{1\ -\ v^2/c^2}, where v is the speed of the traveler and c is the speed of light. The exact speed will depend on the decimal fraction of c, with at least 11 nines being needed for the calculation.
kevinlatt
if an object is speeding away from another what is the speed of the traveler if the time dialtion is 1 day = 1000 years. how do i calculate this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is "the traveler" one of the two objects? (I.e. are you asking for the speed of one of the objects in an inertial frame where the other object is stationary). Is this a homework question? Do you know the formula for time dilation?

Welcome to PF!

kevinlatt said:
if an object is speeding away from another what is the speed of the traveler if the time dialtion is 1 day = 1000 years. how do i calculate this ?

Hi kevinlatt ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what formulas you know, and what calculations you've tried so far, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

no this is not home work. no i do not know the time dilation formula. yes the traveller is one of the objects. it is a theory idea i am personally interested in and ihave no way to prove it. can you help

Hi kevinlatt!

Time dilation at speed v:

[tex]\sqrt{1\ -\ v^2/c^2}[/tex] :smile:

Or just use this:
http://www.1728.com/reltivty.htm

BTW, your answer will be more a matter of how many 9's there are in the decimal fraction of c (I get at least 11).

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the measure of how quickly an object moves from one point to another, usually measured in distance per unit of time.

2. How is speed calculated?

Speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance/time.

3. What are the units of speed?

The most common units of speed are meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), and miles per hour (mph). However, speed can also be measured in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or even light years per century (ly/c).

4. How does speed differ from velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving while velocity includes the direction of motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity while speed is a scalar quantity.

5. Can the speed of a traveler change?

Yes, the speed of a traveler can change. It can increase, decrease, or remain constant depending on factors such as the force acting on the traveler, the surface they are traveling on, and any opposing forces like friction. This change in speed is known as acceleration, which is the rate at which an object's speed changes.