What is the relationship between Kc and Kp?

In summary: The relationship between the equilibrium constant Kc and the equilibrium pressure constant Kp is that Kc is equal to 2.9 times the equilibrium pressure constant Kp.
dnt
what is the relationship between the equilibrium constant Kc and the equilibrium pressure constant Kp? I am given many questions that either give Kc and ask for partial pressures of gases or vice versa. what is the best way to approach these questions?

another question states given this equation:

SO2 + NO2 --> SO3 + NO

Kc=2.9

how much NO2 must be added to 2.2 mol of SO2 to make 1.3 mol of SO3 and equilibrium? I just don't know how to start this. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kp=kc*RT[tex]\Delta[/tex]n ][tex]\Delta[/tex]n=total change in the no. of moles

what about the 2nd question? what i think needs to be done is to assume the number of moles for SO3 and NO is the same because both products are made in equal quantities at equilbrium - is that the correct assumption?

then i can plug all the numbers into the Kc equation and solve from there?

ok well how do i get Kp from Kc if no temperature is given?

A <--> 2B

initial partial pressure of A is 0 and initial partial pressure of B is 1 atm. they ask to find the equilibrium partial pressures of A and B and they give Kc value.

im pretty sure this is an ICE problem

for A: I=0, C=x, E=x
for B: I=2, C=-x, E=2-x

but my problem is i cannot find Kp to set up the equation (x)/(2-x)^2 = Kp...i am only given Kc=1.4

(is it safe to assume the reaction is going to the left, towards A, because the initial partial pressure of A is 0 therefore there isn't any A to start?)

bump:

found one correction i think:
for A: I=0, C=x, E=x
for B: I=2, C=-2x, E=2-2x

but still cannot connect these values (which are pressures) to a given Kc value without temperature. what should i try next?

What is the difference between Kc and Kp?

Kc and Kp are both equilibrium constants, but they are used to describe different types of reactions. Kc is used for reactions that involve concentrations of gases or solutions, while Kp is used for reactions that involve partial pressures of gases.

How are Kc and Kp related?

Kc and Kp are related through the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the amount of gas present. This means that for a given reaction, the ratio between Kc and Kp is determined by the number of moles of gas on each side of the equation.

Can Kc and Kp have different values for the same reaction?

Yes, Kc and Kp can have different values for the same reaction because they are measuring different aspects of the reaction. Kc is based on concentrations, while Kp is based on partial pressures. Therefore, the values will only be equal if the reaction involves only gases at the same temperature and pressure.

How does temperature affect Kc and Kp?

In general, increasing the temperature of a reaction will increase both Kc and Kp. This is because the forward reaction is favored at higher temperatures, leading to a higher equilibrium constant. However, for exothermic reactions, an increase in temperature will actually decrease Kc and Kp, as the reverse reaction becomes more favored at higher temperatures.

Can Kc and Kp be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, the values of Kc and Kp can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If Kc or Kp is greater than 1, the reaction will favor the products. If Kc or Kp is less than 1, the reaction will favor the reactants. If Kc or Kp is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and there is no net change in the concentrations or partial pressures of the reactants and products.