How can I update my NVIDIA video drivers for better online gaming performance?

In summary: Adding -DXlevel 70 to the exe launch options may help, but I'm not sure if it will work for everyone. Start the game in 800x600 then switch resolutions in the game to see if it is fixed.
_Mayday_
Hey Everyone

My knowledge of computers is pretty much near to nothing. I've just put Counter Strike on my laptop, which is a PC game played online. The game sometimes has to reboot due to the fact that my drivers need updating, even when I start the game it says that I may need to update. Could someone guide me in the right direction in terms of Drivers.

I am using Windows XP, and my driver is the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150. I'm not really sure what do now to be honest. I would assume it just needs to be updated?

Do any of you know if I could change my driver thingy, what would work well for online gaming?

Thanks!

_Mayday_

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it advisable to use custom made video drivers such as that by http://www.omegadrivers.net/ ? I've heard others say that they're better than the ones by their manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never recommend that a complete noob use custom video drivers.

I don't think that you can get much better then the Nvidia drivers. There may be special cases where something else is better, but not for a off the shelf system running off the shelf software.

Thanks for all the response, I've followed the first link Integral posted, and it asks for the product series, I have no idea what the product series is. Mine says GO6150 but that isn't an option.

Its between:

GeForce 200 series
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 7 Series
GeForce 6 Series
GeForce 5 FX Series
GeForce 4 MX Series

I don't know :confused:

If you bought a name brand laptop or PC then you usually need to goto the manufacturs website to download the current drivers.

You could also run windows update and see if they show up.

Also, you have a mobile chipset, so choose the correct mobile chipset, not the one for desktops.

_Mayday_ said:
Thanks for all the response, I've followed the first link Integral posted, and it asks for the product series, I have no idea what the product series is. Mine says GO6150 but that isn't an option.

Its between:

GeForce 200 series
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 7 Series
GeForce 6 Series
GeForce 5 FX Series
GeForce 4 MX Series

I don't know :confused:
Yours should be under the GeForce 6 Series.

Also make sure that you completely remove the old drivers before installing the new ones to avoid any errors or conflicts.

I've just downloaded it for Vista! Bah, its a shame I have XP, ill give it another go lol!

I'm still struggling here everyone! :cry:

I need to find a free update for my video drivers, but I am on an HP Pavillion laptop. I've been on their site, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

I have..."NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150" and want an upgrade. Maybe there isn't a free option, but can someone please help me out here!

Thanks!

try this
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-42641-1&lc=en&cc=us&product=1842078&os=228

I'll give that a try greg, thank you!

I've started downloading and it now says:

The drivers you are installing are older than the drivers currently installed on your system. DO you wish to continue and install the older drivers?

Anyone know how I can tackle this problem?

_Mayday_ said:

What is the problem, looks like you have the most recent driver already installed.

Here is the message when I start up the game. It's Counter Strike: Source btw. Please not that the driver specs are not mine, but just one I found on google images. Also the option at the bottom talking about driver update page, well it doesn't work for any users of the game.

screenshot-video-driver-outdated.png

_Mayday_ said:

I used two softwares when I needed drivers for XP

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
and
Driver Detective

Driver detective would tell you if you have the latest driver.

If not, find motherboard information from Belrac and google search.

Also, see if your drivers are updated in "Help and support"--> " Use tools to view your computer inf.." -- > my computer information ...

this will show you if you need new driverAnd, I think all games have a list of specifications that your computer must meet.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you able to run the game at all?

Yes the game runs, but after about 45 minutes to an hour it crashes.

It's just happened again, and a message came up. This might help.

Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9::Present()

Try these two things seperately and see if they work

add -DXlevel 70 to the exe launch options

or

start the game in 800x600 then switch resolutions in game

How do I: DXlevel 70 to the exe launch options?

Thanks

_Mayday_ said:
How do I: DXlevel 70 to the exe launch options?

Thanks

Right click and then properties, you may need to make a shortcut for it first and apply to shortcut

1. What are NVIDIA video drivers?

NVIDIA video drivers are software programs that enable your computer's operating system to communicate with and control your NVIDIA graphics card. These drivers are essential for your computer to properly display graphics and run video-intensive applications, such as games and video editing software.

2. Why do I need to update my NVIDIA video drivers?

Updating your NVIDIA video drivers is important because it ensures that your graphics card is using the latest software and technology. This can improve the performance and stability of your graphics card, and also add new features and fix bugs. In some cases, not updating your drivers can lead to compatibility issues and crashes.

3. How do I update my NVIDIA video drivers?

To update your NVIDIA video drivers, you can use the NVIDIA GeForce Experience software, which will automatically scan for updates and install them for you. You can also manually download the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website and install them yourself. It is recommended to use the GeForce Experience software for a hassle-free and efficient update process.

4. How often should I update my NVIDIA video drivers?

It is generally recommended to update your NVIDIA video drivers whenever a new update is available. This could be once a month or more frequently, depending on how often NVIDIA releases new drivers. You can also check for updates periodically using the GeForce Experience software to ensure that your drivers are always up to date.

5. Can updating my NVIDIA video drivers cause any problems?

In most cases, updating your NVIDIA video drivers should not cause any problems. However, there is a small chance that the new drivers may not be compatible with your system or cause issues with certain applications. If this happens, you can roll back to a previous version of the drivers or contact NVIDIA for support. It is always recommended to create a system restore point before updating your drivers, just in case any issues arise.