Finding Velocity on a Circular Amusement Park Ride

• Thread starter joeth04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, the speaker had a difficult physics problem on their midterm, specifically involving a circular ride platform with a diameter of 8.0 meters, a 2.5 meter "massless chain", and an attached chair at an angle theta to vertical. The speaker is unsure of the correct equations to use and is requesting guidance. They also mention an attached drawing with some missing decimal points, but it is not accessible at the moment.
joeth04
Alright I had a midterm in my physics class today, and was completley stumped on this problem. Either I'm missing an equation or just not getting it, if you could lead me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. I also am attaching a picture of the problem that I drew in paint.

Homework Statement

The problem states that the circular ride platform has a diameter of 8.0 meters and the 2.5 m "massless chain" is attached to the chair at an angle theta to vertical. The chair is 10 kg, what is the velocity? I know I forgot to put the decimal points in the attached drawing, it should not make much of a difference either way.

Homework Equations

Fc = m*v2/R
v = omega*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not have enough givens for either of these equations.

Attachments

• physics1301-2.jpg
    physics1301-2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 439
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like something is wrong with the attachment because I cannot open it (no link).

it says the attachment is pending approval.

What is a circular amusement park ride?

A circular amusement park ride is a type of ride that consists of a circular platform or structure that rotates while riders are seated in or on it. These rides can be found in various amusement parks and are often designed to provide thrilling and exciting experiences for riders.

What are the safety precautions for circular amusement park rides?

Safety precautions for circular amusement park rides include regular maintenance and inspection of the ride, height and weight restrictions for riders, proper training for ride operators, and the use of safety restraints such as seat belts or harnesses. It is important for riders to follow all safety guidelines and listen to instructions from ride operators to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.

How do circular amusement park rides work?

Circular amusement park rides typically operate using a motor that rotates the platform or structure at a variable speed. Some rides also have the ability to tilt or move vertically to add to the thrill. The ride operator controls the speed and movements of the ride using a control panel.

What are the different types of circular amusement park rides?

There are various types of circular amusement park rides, including Ferris wheels, spinning rides, and swinging rides. These rides can also come in different shapes and sizes, such as circular or oval-shaped structures, and can have different themes or designs.

What are the physics behind circular amusement park rides?

Circular amusement park rides utilize principles of physics, such as centripetal force and inertia, to create the spinning and tilting movements. The speed and direction of the rotation, as well as the weight and positioning of the riders, all affect the forces experienced by the riders. Understanding these physics concepts is important in designing and operating safe and enjoyable circular amusement park rides.