Question about a Theorem in Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra

In summary, A lemma in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra" states that if a permutation can be expressed as a product of 2-cycles, then the number of 2-cycles must be even. This is a special case of a theorem that states the same for any permutation. The confusion may arise from the notation used for the identity permutation.
alligatorman
Question about a Theorem in Gallian's "Contemporary Abstract Algebra"

I'm using this book as a reference for my Algebra course, and there's a lemma in the book that is really confusing me.

It is on Page 102 of the Sixth Edition, for those who have the book.

The lemma states:

If [tex]\epsilon=\beta_1\beta_2\cdots\beta_r[/tex] where the [tex]\beta 's[/tex] are 2-cycles, then r is even.

The author states that it is a special case of the theorem which says: if a permutation A can be expressed as a product of an even(odd) number of 2-cycles, then every decomp. of A into a product of 2-cyles must have an even(odd) number of 2-cycles.But doesn't the lemma state that every cycle can be written as a product of an even number of two cycles? I'm confused, and I'm not following the proof of the lemma.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I apologize. Turns out that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the identity permutation.

alligatorman said:
I apologize. Turns out that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is the identity permutation.

Haha, I saw your post and had the book out (see my thread) and I was thinking the same thing at first glance, but then it's like... wait a second, e is the identity. It's not written like the typical e like the rest of the book, so I can understand the confusion.

1. What is Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra?

Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra is a textbook commonly used in undergraduate courses in abstract algebra. It covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, and field theory.

2. What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and previously established results.

3. What is the importance of theorems in abstract algebra?

Theorems in abstract algebra provide a rigorous framework for understanding and proving mathematical concepts. They also help to establish relationships between different algebraic structures and provide insights into their properties.

4. Can you provide an example of a theorem in Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra?

One example of a theorem in Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra is the First Isomorphism Theorem, which states that if there is a homomorphism between two groups, then the quotient group formed by the kernel of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.

5. How can I apply theorems from Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra in real life?

Theorems from Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra can be applied in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. For example, group theory and ring theory are used in coding theory for error correction and in quantum mechanics for describing symmetries of physical systems.