Relationship between E and 1/r

• Thread starter degredationz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
In summary, flux lines are a way of visualize how the field strength at a point is related to the density of flux lines. You can see this in terms of geometry. The field strength at a point is the density of flux lines at that position.
degredationz
Hi all,
I was taught that E(field strength) is proportional to 1/r for a setup of a ring(earthed) and a positive electrode(in the centre of the ring).
can anyone confirm this or guide me its derivation?
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
think in terms of flux lines. you can see geometrically why the field strength
from a point is r^-2.
from a one dimensional line is r^-1.
from a 2 dimensional sheet is r^0.

granpa said:
think in terms of flux lines. you can see geometrically why the field strength
from a point is r^-2.
from a one dimensional line is r^-1.
from a 2 dimensional sheet is r^0.

hi, i do not understand exactly wad you mean... is there any diagram i cud refer to?

granpa said:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213442,00.html

flux lines can be though of as having a tension along their length and a tendency to repel one another. the field strength at a point is the density of flux lines at that position.

oh thanks, it is clearer now.
but how about the part of point vs 1d line vs 2dimentional sheet?

it should be obvious. visualize it. that's what flux lines are for. start with a 2 dimensional sheet extending to infinity. where are the flux lines going to go? how does their density change as you move away from the sheet?

errr, how do i model the ring and a round electrode pressed onto a plane as?
a point charge with a spherical shell? but that will give me E is proportional to 1/r^2. this is the part i do not understand..

No, you would model the electrode as the single point, the origin, and the ring as a circle of radius r. Using a spherical shell gives you a 3 dimensional problem so you get 1/r^2 again.

granpa said:
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213442,00.html

flux lines can be though of as having a tension along their length and a tendency to repel one another. the field strength at a point is the density of flux lines at that position.

oh okay. the theory confused me when it insisted 1/r. i think i got to clarify with the lab lecturer. i was sure it was 1/r^2 by that understanding. thanks ppl!

1. What is the relationship between E and 1/r?

The relationship between E (electric field) and 1/r (distance between two charges) is an inverse relationship. As the distance between two charges increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is known as Coulomb's law.

2. How does changing the distance between two charges affect the electric field strength?

As the distance between two charges decreases, the electric field strength increases. This is because the electric field lines become more concentrated, leading to a stronger electric field. On the other hand, increasing the distance between two charges will result in a weaker electric field.

3. Can the relationship between E and 1/r be applied to any type of charge?

Yes, the relationship between E and 1/r is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and applies to any type of charge, whether it is positive or negative.

4. Is the relationship between E and 1/r affected by the charges' magnitudes?

Yes, the relationship between E and 1/r is directly proportional to the magnitudes of the charges. This means that as the charges' magnitudes increase, the electric field strength also increases.

5. How is the relationship between E and 1/r used in practical applications?

The relationship between E and 1/r is used in various practical applications, such as calculating the force between two charges, determining the voltage in a circuit, and designing electrostatic precipitators. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields in different situations.