How can I calculate the speed of the other end of a falling rotating stick?

In summary, the cause of a rotating stick falling is due to the force of gravity. The rotation of the stick creates a gyroscopic effect that can help stabilize its motion. Factors such as length, weight, speed of rotation, and angle of drop can influence how a rotating stick falls. The falling motion of a rotating stick can be predicted using principles of physics. However, it will not fall in a straight line due to the torque created by rotation, causing it to follow a curved path known as a parabolic trajectory.
bkhofmann

Homework Statement

A stick of length 0.8 m is held vertically with one end on the floor and is then allowed to fall. Find the speed of the other end when it hits the floor, assuming that the end on the floor does not slip.

Homework Equations

w=sqrt(3g/2h)

Should I use I=.5ML^2 or I=1/3ML^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Used the relevant equation to no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia of a rod from one of its ends is 1/3 M L^2, which you can find in a table.

I would suggest using the equation for conservation of energy to solve this problem. The potential energy of the stick at the initial position can be equated to the kinetic energy of the stick at the final position. Since the stick is rotating, the moment of inertia will play a role in this equation. Therefore, I would recommend using the formula I=1/3ML^2 to calculate the moment of inertia for a thin rod. This will give a more accurate result compared to using I=0.5ML^2 which is for a solid cylinder. By substituting the values into the conservation of energy equation and solving for velocity, you should be able to find the speed of the other end of the stick when it hits the floor. It is important to note that this solution assumes that the stick does not experience any external forces or friction during its fall.

1. What is the cause of a rotating stick falling?

The cause of a rotating stick falling is due to the force of gravity pulling the stick towards the ground.

2. How does the rotation of the stick affect its falling?

The rotation of the stick affects its falling by creating a gyroscopic effect, which can help stabilize the stick's motion as it falls.

3. What factors can influence how a rotating stick falls?

The factors that can influence how a rotating stick falls include the length and weight of the stick, the speed of rotation, and the angle at which it is dropped.

4. Is the falling motion of a rotating stick predictable?

Yes, the falling motion of a rotating stick can be predicted using principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can a rotating stick fall in a straight line?

No, a rotating stick will not fall in a straight line due to the torque created by the rotation, causing it to follow a curved path known as a parabolic trajectory.