Is the sqrt( -1) = i , or plus-minus i

• Thread starter Unassuming
  • Start date
In summary, the square root of -1 is a complex number represented by the letter i. It can be expressed as both i and plus-minus i, and is used in various fields of mathematics. This number cannot be simplified any further and is represented by the letter i because it stands for "imaginary."
Unassuming
When I am solving an equation and I take the sqrt of both sides, one of which is -1.

Do I put i, or plusminus i ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just [itex]i[/itex] (although engineers use [itex]j[/itex] just to be obstinate)

sqrt(-1) is i but the solution to x2 = 1 is +1 /-1

1. What is the square root of -1?

The square root of -1 is a complex number, represented by the letter i. It is defined as the number that when squared, equals -1.

2. Is the square root of -1 equal to i or plus-minus i?

Both i and plus-minus i are correct representations of the square root of -1. This is because when a number is squared, the result can be either positive or negative, and both i and -i squared equal -1.

3. How is the square root of -1 used in mathematics?

The concept of the square root of -1, or imaginary numbers, is used in various fields of mathematics, such as complex analysis, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in solving equations that have no real solutions.

4. Can the square root of -1 be simplified?

No, the square root of -1 is already in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further. It is considered an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.

5. Why is the square root of -1 represented by the letter i?

The letter i is used to represent the square root of -1 because it stands for "imaginary." This term was first introduced by mathematicians to distinguish these numbers from real numbers. The letter i is also used to represent other complex numbers, such as a+bi, where a and b are real numbers.