Magnitude of electric field due to line of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnitude of the electric field at a point on the x-axis using the equation for electric field due to a line of charge. The conversation also addresses concerns about the limits of integration and the argument for "r" in the equation. It is determined that the position of the dq is represented by the x value in the equation (5.5 - x).
CentreShifter

Homework Statement

A charge (uniform linear density = 9.4 nC/m) lies on a string that is stretched along an x-axis from x = 0 to x = 3.0 m. Determine the magnitude of the electric field at x = 5.5 m on the x axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{dE}=\frac{\lambda dx}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the unit vector can eliminated since the point is on the same axis as the line of charge (cos(0)=1). My concern is with my limits of integration and with my "r" argument. My final expression was:

[tex]E = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} 5.5^2} \int^{3}_{0} dx[/tex] which got me an 8.38244 N/C, a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like your r is a function of x.

For any dq isn't r = (5.5 - x) ?

Yes! I knew the influence of dq would vary with distance from it. I just wasn't sure how to incorporate that. I guess I'm having trouble visualizing r as a function of x that way. Is the x in (5.5 - x) the position of dq?

CentreShifter said:
Yes! I knew the influence of dq would vary with distance from it. I just wasn't sure how to incorporate that. I guess I'm having trouble visualizing r as a function of x that way. Is the x in (5.5 - x) the position of dq?

As I see it, yes. That should be the r for a particular dq located at x, and relative to the point 5.5.

What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field due to a line of charge?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field due to a line of charge is E = (k * λ)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

How does the distance from the line of charge affect the magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the line of charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of electric field due to a line of charge?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

Can the magnitude of electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field can be negative if the line of charge is negatively charged. This indicates the direction of the electric field towards the line of charge.

How does the linear charge density affect the magnitude of electric field?

The magnitude of electric field is directly proportional to the linear charge density. This means that an increase in the linear charge density will result in an increase in the magnitude of electric field.