Tricky 10th grade Math Problem of 3 Equation

• Thread starter aeronautical
  • Start date
In summary, the first equation represents how many individuals are susceptible to a disease after a given amount of time, and the second equation represents how many weeks it will take for the infection to reach a certain number of individuals. The third equation represents how many individuals are immune to the disease after a given amount of time.
aeronautical

Homework Statement

Epidemic. Consider the following model of how an epidemic spreads through a population. First we will introduce some definitions:

N = number of individuals in population
Mk = the number of susceptible after k weeks
Sk = number of infectious after k weeks
Ik = the number of immune after k weeks
d = disease duration in weeks
k = constant, which describes how easily the disease is infecting

Then we can formulate our mathematical model

Mk +1 = Mk - k * Sk * Mk (1)
Sk + 1 = Sk + k * Sk * Mk - Sk/d (2)
Ik + 1 = Ik + Sk/d (3)

Recognize the first model equations in words! Then examine how Mk, Sk and Ik developed week by week until the epidemic is over. You can use the values N = 1000, S0 = 1, k = 0.002 and d = 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to combine all three equations into one, and I know that the problem is solved once the number of immunes Ik, equal the total number of individual in the population. Yet, all I get is a constant equation that repeats itself. I assume that N=Mk+Ik+Sk. Can somebody help me out with this tricky problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't your equations recursive definitions?
Mk+1 = Mk - k * Sk * Mk
Sk+1 = Sk + k * Sk * Mk - Sk/d
Ik+1 = Ik + Sk/d

You might be running into trouble if you are thinking that you have Mk + 1 rather than Mk+1.

Mark44 said:
Aren't your equations recursive definitions?
Mk+1 = Mk - k * Sk * Mk
Sk+1 = Sk + k * Sk * Mk - Sk/d
Ik+1 = Ik + Sk/d

You might be running into trouble if you are thinking that you have Mk + 1 rather than Mk+1.

Well I don't know how to begin solving this problem...can you pls help?

aeronautical said:
Well I don't know how to begin solving this problem...can you pls help?

Using Mark44's corrected form of the equations, tell us in your own words what the first equation represents. You should be able to do that.

Next, I'd recommend making a quick Excel spreadsheet with these equations, and seeing how the numbers play out after some number of weeks. Use the numbers you are given, to plug into the equations. Once you see how the equations are working, then you can decide if you can find a closed-form solution for if/when an outbreak will end...

1. What makes the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations tricky?

The 10th grade math problem with 3 equations is tricky because it requires students to use multiple equations and solve for multiple variables simultaneously. This can be challenging for students who are not familiar with this type of problem or who struggle with algebraic manipulation.

2. How can I approach solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations?

The best approach for solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations is to start by identifying the variables in each equation and determining which equations can be used to eliminate certain variables. From there, you can use substitution or elimination methods to solve for the remaining variables.

3. Are there any tips for solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations?

One helpful tip for solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations is to organize your work and keep track of which equations you have used to eliminate variables. It can also be helpful to check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equations to ensure they satisfy all three equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations?

While a calculator can be useful for checking your work, it is not necessary for solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations. This type of problem can be solved using algebraic manipulation and does not require complex calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations?

One common mistake to avoid when solving the 10th grade math problem with 3 equations is mixing up the signs when combining equations. It is also important to carefully distribute any negative signs and to double check your work for any arithmetic errors. Additionally, make sure to check that your solutions satisfy all three equations before considering the problem solved.