11-Year-Old Graduates From LA [Community] College

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: I am very proud of my son for being one of the talented few.In summary, an 11-year-old graduate from a college in LA with a degree in astrophysics. He was one of three people in the school to do so. He is also a fan of Einstein and Bruce Lee.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...When Cavalin started college at the age of 8, he may have been the youngest person in class, but he ended up tutoring some of his 19- and 20-year-old classmates in math and science. Cavalin was one of 3 in the school graduating with a 4.0 GPA.

Astrophysics is his passion. Albert Einstein and Bruce Lee are among his idols...
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/11-Year-Old-Graduates-From-LA-College.html?yhp=1

It was interesting to note how Fox News reported this story.
11-Year-Old Graduates College With Degree in Astrophysics
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525254,00.html

Is there such a thing as an AA in Astrophysics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good for him, we need more smart people in the world.

I just visited an old professor today at his farm with his wife. He was telling us a story about when he was an undergrad at MIT. He scored a 41 on the test, and the kid in front of him got a 37. He went up to the teacher and asked why he got a 37. The teacher told him, "You used all this funny notation and so I took off points". The student then told him, that's short hand for tensor notation. The professor then looked at his paper again and said "come with me!". They walked out, and he never saw him again. Weeks later he saw the kid across the street from where he lived and asked him why he wasn't in class anymore. The kid told him the professor moved him to graduate math courses, and that the 'student' was 15 years old. My professor said that's when he realized he was among people he could never be as smart as no matter how hard he tried.

(This was back in the 60's and he was a physics major. The class was freshman physics)

Giggle, http://www.elac.edu/academic/ELAC_Catalog0709SM.pdf [Broken]

They have it as a "discipline" whatever the hell that means, but no degree or certificate. I HAVE heard of degrees in astronomy from city colleges... but i heard it a long time ago... possibly in a world that doesn't exist... or Ukraine.

I wonder what ever happens to kids like these? Oh I know tensors in 3rd grade, I can solve complex differential equations by 5th grade... where do they tend to end up? I hope they all don't burn out or go insane with their genius. Makes you feel kinda dumb though huh...

5 bucks says Cyrus is going to copy that last sentence and make it into a joke at my expense.

Cyrus said:
Good for him, we need more smart people in the world.

I just visited an old professor today at his farm with his wife. He was telling us a story about when he was an undergrad at MIT. He scored a 41 on the test, and the kid in front of him got a 37. He went up to the teacher and asked why he got a 37. The teacher told him, "You used all this funny notation and so I took off points". The student then told him, that's short hand for tensor notation. The professor then looked at his paper again and said "come with me!". They walked out, and he never saw him again. Weeks later he saw the kid across the street from where he lived and asked him why he wasn't in class anymore. The kid told him the professor moved him to graduate math courses, and that the 'student' was 15 years old. My professor said that's when he realized he was among people he could never be as smart as no matter how hard he tried.

(This was back in the 60's and he was a physics major. The class was freshman physics)

This is true, while I was an undergrad at alma matter I thought I was SMART!. Now as a Grad student, boy I AM LOSING FAITH! hahaha. So many smart people in Grad School!. It's amazing!. I am glad I am Smart enough to survive and have a 4.0 GPA in Grad School, but damn.. I am glad I am not smart enough to feel pressured about wanting to have an original new idea like John Forbes, or Daniel McFadden, Gordon Newell or others.

Pengwuino said:

They have it as a "discipline" whatever the hell that means, but no degree or certificate. I HAVE heard of degrees in astronomy from city colleges... but i heard it a long time ago... possibly in a world that doesn't exist... or Ukraine.

I wonder what ever happens to kids like these? Oh I know tensors in 3rd grade, I can solve complex differential equations by 5th grade... where do they tend to end up? I hope they all don't burn out or go insane with their genius. Makes you feel kinda dumb though huh...

5 bucks says Cyrus is going to copy that last sentence and make it into a joke at my expense.

Pengwuino, some do don't live up to their expectation or potential. Have you ever heard about William James Sidis?

:rofl: reading that other thread about us being significant was silly. THIS article makes me feel insignificant...

Pengwuino said:

My professors wife was telling a story about a kid who grew up with her. While in elementary school this kid decided to invent algebra while everyone else was learning addition. The teacher couldn't believe this kid invented algebra on his own. He moved away and years later she read in a newspaper he had graduated with a PhD in mathematics from UCLA, which was a top school at the time, at age (15?). But his mother was mentally ill and killed herself when the kid was 3. She never heard about this guy again after that article and suspects he might also be mentally ill since it typically runs in the family.

Cyclovenom said:
This is true, while I was an undergrad at alma matter I thought I was SMART!. Now as a Grad student, boy I AM LOSING FAITH! hahaha. So many smart people in Grad School!. It's amazing!. I am glad I am Smart enough to survive and have a 4.0 GPA in Grad School, but damn.. I am glad I am not smart enough to feel pressured about wanting to have an original new idea like John Forbes, or Daniel McFadden, Gordon Newell or others.

I use people to my advantage. If I know someone is good at something, I just go to them and have them show it to me. You get a lot more work done, quicker, and of higher quality, when you use other peoples strengths to your advantage. Otherwise, you pound your head trying to do what you know someone else is already good at. Cut out the middle man (yourself in this case), and go to the source. I do this all the time. If I have a question, I'll call up a contact at Hopkins, or NASA Langley, or another any other source I might have up my sleeve. I never try to do things on my own unless I know I can't get someone to do/explain it for me. I just don't have the time to sit there and try and do everything from scratch on my own, nor do I care to.

That's very good advice, Cyrus.

By the way, check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Demaine" [Broken]

Cyclovenom said:
That's very good advice, Cyrus.

By the way, check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Demaine" [Broken]

Tell that guy to make me some kind of cool ipod/web browser computer -thingy that I can go oooh ahh. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

Hopefully the kid turns out ok and will publish a lot of papers.

Pengwuino said:

The one child prodigy genius type I knew in school (he was only about 4 years ahead) did end up burning out. Since he was so good in math and physics in high school, he of course headed to university for physics. He ended up hating the subject...just because you're good at it doesn't mean it's what you want to do the rest of your life. Once getting over his depression, he ended up switching to a liberal arts major. He seemed happier last I heard from him, but I also haven't heard from him in about 10 years. He never had a normal childhood, and his adult social relations suffered for it. Sometimes you just have to let kids be kids, no matter how smart they are.

Edit: Though, hee, maybe this is more a commentary on the level of education provided by that particular community college...so easy, even an 11 year old can do it! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Edit: Though, hee, maybe this is more a commentary on the level of education provided by that particular community college...so easy, even an 11 year old can do it! :biggrin:
Sign up for our courses. If you have trouble, we'll get an 11-year-old to tutor you.

I have a lot in common with this young man. When I was 11, I didn't play video games either.

Cavalin's parents avoid calling their son a genius. They say he's just an average kid who enjoys studying as much as he likes playing ...

Cavalin has a general idea what his IQ is, but doesn't like to discuss it.

I think his parents are smart enough not to put him in pressure, at least in public.

Moonbear said:

My friend (The one that PMed you about Med School a while back), had 8 year old girl in his biology class who would answer the professors questions when the rest of the lecture hall was dead silent. The professor said, "see, its so easy a child can do it!"

I hope he can help us unravel some of the mysteries of the universe. I'm sure I'll be reading his papers shortly.

I feel so dumb. :(

Topher925 said:
I feel so dumb. :(

That's because you are. :smile:

How can one maintain this feeling (feeling inferior, challenged, puzzled, astonished)? If I could maintain this for a good while, I think it might motivate me to tackle difficult subjects (of course difficult on my scale would be a walk in the park for those geniuses).

Moonbear said:

It does vary a lot. Some California community colleges offer a complete curriculum that is fully transferable to any UC school. Others do not.

AhmedEzz said:
How can one maintain this feeling (feeling inferior, challenged, puzzled, astonished)? If I could maintain this for a good while, I think it might motivate me to tackle difficult subjects (of course difficult on my scale would be a walk in the park for those geniuses).

Why would you want to maintain "this feeling (feeling inferior, challenged, puzzled, astonished)?"

It's one of those, if you have to ask you probably don't love what you do. You're asking us how to love what you do. It doesn't work that way.

I'd hesitate to label him as a genius just for completing community college at such a young age. This surely demonstrates a high level of motivation and intelligence for his age, but it does not necessarily mean that he will retain the same proportional advantage over his peers by the time his peers are getting real accredited degrees at respectable institutions. And let's face it, a community college degree is not normally respectable. Also, from the limited quotations given in the article, his grammar seems below average for college graduates.

Cyrus said:
Why would you want to maintain "this feeling (feeling inferior, challenged, puzzled, astonished)?"
It's one of those, if you have to ask you probably don't love what you do. You're asking us how to love what you do. It doesn't work that way.

Thanks for elaborating, I do see what you mean. I am starting to question my motives but I think this always happens when things get messy and you don't want to deal with it anymore. However, when the dust clears off, it is then that you realize, you wouldn't want to do anything else. Sounds poetic, but I hope that is the case. Maybe people with more experience can have a better say.

Cyrus said:
My friend (The one that PMed you about Med School a while back), had 8 year old girl in his biology class who would answer the professors questions when the rest of the lecture hall was dead silent. The professor said, "see, its so easy a child can do it!"

God I probably would have killed myself if I had to deal with that.

Not really but man that would have been annoying to have a kid answering all the questions you can't in class.

Pengwuino said:

Not really but man that would have been annoying to have a kid answering all the questions you can't in class.

You should kill yourself anyways. Frankly, I wouldn't really care if an 8 year old was answering questions.

Cyrus said:
You should kill yourself anyways. Frankly, I wouldn't really care if an 8 year old was answering questions.

You son of a... i laughed/coughed wihle i was eating my burrito and reading that and i think i got snot in my food. Oh well. I am eating it anyways

Pengwuino said:
You son of a... i laughed/coughed wihle i was eating my burrito and reading that and i think i got snot in my food. Oh well. I am eating it anyways
That's not snot. It's congealed fish oil. Probably high in Omega 3 fatty acids.

Pengwuino said:

I don't know, I was thinking it was brilliant! Now I'm trying to figure out who has an 8-year-old I can borrow to plant in my classes with all the answers to my questions. :biggrin: :devil:

Pengwuino said:

uhhhhhhh that reminds me of my old days and how I pissed off my colleagues while I answer the prophessors questions:biggrin:

seriously though, I was thinking of medicine as for a career option, but I change my mind and major in physics out of challenge! and start to like it throughout the different courses..you feel like you work out your mind very well

note: you should never eat alone, just in case..you know

Moonbear said:
I don't know, I was thinking it was brilliant! Now I'm trying to figure out who has an 8-year-old I can borrow to plant in my classes with all the answers to my questions. :biggrin: :devil:

Probably highly paraphrased from the original, which I read many years ago on some website I can't recall...

Two university math professors are having lunch at a diner one day, and arguing about the state of youth, and how little "kids know today". One of the esteemed gentlemen (Professor B) goes to the washroom, and his dining companion, Professor A, waves the young waitress over.

Prof A: "Young lady, I'll give you $10 if you'll do me this favour. When my friend comes back, I'd like you to respond 'x squared' when I ask you a math question"

Waitress: "Ex Squared when you ask me a math question. No problem!"

Professor A gives her the $10, and shortly thereafter, Professor B comes back, he and Professor A continue conversing for a while. Finally, Professor A proposes a wager.

Prof A: "I think the youth know more than you give them credit for. I'll bet you $20 that when I ask our waitress a simple calculus question, she'll be able to give the correct answer."

Professor B agrees, and Professor A beckons their waitress over.

Prof A: "Miss, could you tell me what the integral of 2 x is?"

Waitress: "Why certainly, it's x^2!"

Prof. A: "See? What'd I tell you?"

Waitress: "Oh, plus a constant!"

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It does vary a lot. Some California community colleges offer a complete curriculum that is fully transferable to any UC school. Others do not.

Yes, I've seen that sort of variation in community colleges as well, and that's what prompted my statement. Sometimes, it's that the parents are actually so ignorant that they can't recognize that the community college curriculum is being taught at such a slow, remedial pace that any halfway intelligent child could do it. There are also a lot of classes taught at that level that do not require any actual understanding of the subject, just rote memorization. Children are amazing at memorization. But, then their parents are all impressed because their kid is in college.

The thing that I always wonder is when do kids lose that ability to devour and retain information, and even lose the things they did know before? They get to college, and things that I could teach to a 6th grader (and have, for afterschool programs or just for fun), they can't seem to learn.

My main concern for a kid who gets pushed into community college at a young age and is praised and held in awe by their parents and the press is that they are going to develop a huge ego that will hinder their learning or success in the future, because they will think they are better than everyone else, so don't need to listen to what others try to teach them and are insufferably arrogant.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who are constantly pushed by their parents and rarely given praise for it, so that no matter how far ahead they get, they feel like they are never doing enough and end up with low self-esteem. That's what happened to the person I went to school with. His parents pushed and pushed and pushed and sometimes he just wanted to be a normal kid with friends visiting but was always made to feel like he wasn't doing quite enough to live up to their expectations and had to study more.

Something else that caught my eye was that he got an AA degree instead of an AS. Normally the math and science classes required for an AA degree are not transferable to a university [towards a technical degree]. So it does make me wonder if a relatively easy curriculum was selected in order to graduate him as soon as possible.

Still, completing high school by age 8, or any college curriculum by age 11, is impressive to say the least.

Ivan Seeking said:
Still, completing high school by age 8, or any college curriculum by age 11, is impressive to say the least.
He may not have completed high school. This is one of those goofy things homeschoolers do from time to time, they substitute community college (or "university" of Phoenix) classes for normal school. It seems there are plenty of schools out there willing to accept a parent's money regardless of whether the level of schooling a child got to before that.

Moonbear said:
He may not have completed high school. This is one of those goofy things homeschoolers do from time to time, they substitute community college (or "university" of Phoenix) classes for normal school. It seems there are plenty of schools out there willing to accept a parent's money regardless of whether the level of schooling a child got to before that.

My old physics professor and I had this discussion as well. He complained about the education culture we have, particularly in high school. The problem with high schools are that they hold back smart students and require them to take classes in x,y,z even if they already know that information.

When he was at MIT, the teachers had no problem taking you out of a class and moving you to a more advanced class if they thought you would do better there. When it came time to graduate, they didn't care if you took 60 credits, but got the necessary level of knowledge. He said far too often kids in high school should be allowed to leave and start college right away and stop wasting their time. Right now, he's got a home schooled kid with a 740-760 sat scores, with enough AP credits to enter college as a Junior.

The US's high school system is terrible. I nearly dropped out myself to go to college because I knew I was wasting my time when I went to class. The only reason why I stayed was because my mother forced me to. At the time, I told her it doesn't matter if you drop out of high school when you have a college degree (and I was right).

<h2> What is the significance of an 11-year-old graduating from a community college?</h2><p> Graduating from a community college at such a young age is a remarkable achievement and demonstrates exceptional academic ability and dedication to education. It also shows that the individual has the potential to excel in higher education and may have a bright future ahead.</p><h2> How did the 11-year-old manage to graduate from a community college?</h2><p> This varies from case to case, but typically, the 11-year-old would have started taking college-level courses at a young age, either through dual enrollment programs or by testing out of courses. They would have also needed to meet all the academic requirements and complete the necessary coursework to graduate.</p><h2> What challenges may an 11-year-old face while attending a community college?</h2><p> Some potential challenges include being significantly younger than their peers, adjusting to the college environment, and balancing college coursework with other responsibilities and activities. They may also face social challenges as they may not have the same interests and experiences as other college students.</p><h2> Are there any drawbacks to graduating from college at such a young age?</h2><p> While graduating from college at a young age is undoubtedly an impressive accomplishment, there may be some drawbacks. For example, the individual may miss out on traditional high school experiences and may have difficulty relating to peers who are much older. They may also face challenges in finding employment due to their age and lack of work experience.</p><h2> What advice would you give to other young students who aspire to graduate from college early?</h2><p> My advice would be to start early and take advantage of opportunities such as dual enrollment programs or advanced placement courses. It's also essential to have a strong support system, including family, teachers, and mentors, who can provide guidance and support throughout the process. Additionally, it's crucial to maintain a healthy balance between academics and other aspects of life to avoid burnout. </p>

What is the significance of an 11-year-old graduating from a community college?

Graduating from a community college at such a young age is a remarkable achievement and demonstrates exceptional academic ability and dedication to education. It also shows that the individual has the potential to excel in higher education and may have a bright future ahead.

How did the 11-year-old manage to graduate from a community college?

This varies from case to case, but typically, the 11-year-old would have started taking college-level courses at a young age, either through dual enrollment programs or by testing out of courses. They would have also needed to meet all the academic requirements and complete the necessary coursework to graduate.

What challenges may an 11-year-old face while attending a community college?

Some potential challenges include being significantly younger than their peers, adjusting to the college environment, and balancing college coursework with other responsibilities and activities. They may also face social challenges as they may not have the same interests and experiences as other college students.

Are there any drawbacks to graduating from college at such a young age?

While graduating from college at a young age is undoubtedly an impressive accomplishment, there may be some drawbacks. For example, the individual may miss out on traditional high school experiences and may have difficulty relating to peers who are much older. They may also face challenges in finding employment due to their age and lack of work experience.

What advice would you give to other young students who aspire to graduate from college early?

My advice would be to start early and take advantage of opportunities such as dual enrollment programs or advanced placement courses. It's also essential to have a strong support system, including family, teachers, and mentors, who can provide guidance and support throughout the process. Additionally, it's crucial to maintain a healthy balance between academics and other aspects of life to avoid burnout.