What is the intuitive definition of a subsequence?

In summary, Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" gives the strict definition for a subsequence, where a subsequence {pni} is a sequence {pn} where pni converges and its limit is called a subsequential limit of {pn}. Rudin also mentions that {pn} converges to p if and only if every subsequence of {pn} converges to p. However, if the sequence does not converge, it can have multiple subsequential limits. The set of all subsequential limits forms a closed subset, but this only applies to a sequence that is not necessarily convergent. In the case of a convergent sequence, the set of all subsequential limits will only contain one point.
Newtime
In Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" he gives the strict definition for a subsequence as follows:

Given a subsequence {pn}, consider a sequence {nk}of positive integers, such that n1<n2<n3<... Then the sequence {pni} is called a subsequence of {pn}. If {pni} converges, its limit is called a subsequential limit of {pn}.

Just underneath this definition, he says:

It is clear that {pn} converges to p if and only if every subsequence of {pn} converges to p.

From this definition alone, the answer is clear. Given any numerical sequence, basically if i start at any nth term and proceed infinitely (assuming that is what Rudin meant by "...") then I have a subsequence. But there are other definitions later in the book which recall this one and make it seem like a subsequence is any sort of segment of a sequence which can have a finite end and beginning, for instance, the following theorem which comes only one page after the previous definition:

The subsequential limits of a sequence {pn} in a metric space X form a closed subset of X.

To me, this implies that there are (or at least, could be) multiple subsequential limits. However, the previous definition and the remark just after imply there is only one. Clearly I am misunderstanding something here. Does anyone have the insight I seem to be lacking? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, this implies that there are (or at least, could be) multiple subsequential limits. However, the previous definition and the remark just after imply there is only one. Clearly I am misunderstanding something here. Does anyone have the insight I seem to be lacking? Thanks in advance.
That's correct. A sequence can have multiple subsequential limits if it doesn't converge. The previous remark only concerned convergent sequences. Remember, you can choose any members of the sequence you want to be part of the subsequence, as long as they appear in the same order as in the original sequence. For example, you can have a subsequence consisting of every fifth term in the original sequence. Any method of selection is fine, as long as you don't mess with the order.

Hi Newtime! :smile:
Newtime said:
From this definition alone, the answer is clear. Given any numerical sequence, basically if i start at any nth term and proceed infinitely (assuming that is what Rudin meant by "...") then I have a subsequence.

If by "proceed infinitely" you mean n, n+1, n+2, … then no.

If the original sequence is 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 …,

then the subsequence 1 1 1 1 1 … converges to 1 (obviously! :rolleyes:) but the subsequence 0 0 0 0 0 … converges to 0. :wink:

Tibarn said:
That's correct. A sequence can have multiple subsequential limits if it doesn't converge. The previous remark only concerned convergent sequences. Remember, you can choose any members of the sequence you want to be part of the subsequence, as long as they appear in the same order as in the original sequence. For example, you can have a subsequence consisting of every fifth term in the original sequence. Any method of selection is fine, as long as you don't mess with the order.

tiny-tim said:
Hi Newtime! :smile:

If by "proceed infinitely" you mean n, n+1, n+2, … then no.

If the original sequence is 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 …,

then the subsequence 1 1 1 1 1 … converges to 1 (obviously! :rolleyes:) but the subsequence 0 0 0 0 0 … converges to 0. :wink:

Thank you both for the replies, it does help clear up some confusion already. However, one thing about Rudin's remark after the definition troubles me: if the sequence {pn} converges to p if and onyl if every subsequential limit is also p, then how can a convergent sequence, like say {10+[tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex]} n[tex]\in[/tex]Z (it might just be my computer messing up but the tex doesn't come through, the sequence is {10+1/n} for any integer n) converge to 10 as n approaches infinity if I can choose an arbitrary, finite subsequence, say {11, 10.5, 10.25} which obviously does not converge to 10. I think this is the link in thinking I'm missing, because everything else you both said makes sense and that's what I had thought but that one remark after that definition has got be confused still.

Forgot to mention that the subsequence needs to contain infinitely many terms from the original sequence. You can't have a finite subsequence.

Tibarn said:
Forgot to mention that the subsequence needs to contain infinitely many terms from the original sequence. You can't have a finite subsequence.

Ahh ok this helps with that previous example I just gave then. That makes much more sense. So in the theorem I cited in my original post about every subsequential limit forming a closed subset, that wasn't talking about a convergent sequence necessarily, just a sequence, but if the sequence was convergent then the set of all subsequential limits would contain one point?

What is the intuitive definition of a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from another sequence by deleting some elements without changing the order of the remaining elements.

How is a subsequence different from a subset?

A subsequence differs from a subset in that a subset must contain consecutive elements, while a subsequence can skip elements as long as the order is maintained.

What are some examples of subsequence?

Some examples of subsequence include: the even numbers in the sequence of natural numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, ...), the letters "a", "c", and "e" in the sequence "apple", and the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, ...).

Why is the concept of subsequence important in mathematics and computer science?

The concept of subsequence is important in mathematics and computer science because it allows for the identification and analysis of patterns within a larger sequence. It also has applications in algorithms and data structures, such as in searching and sorting algorithms.

How can one determine if a sequence is a subsequence of another?

To determine if a sequence is a subsequence of another, one can check if the elements of the first sequence appear in the same order in the second sequence. If some elements are skipped or appear in a different order, then the sequence is not a subsequence.