Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting - Cheers Sylas

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter sylas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding a "strike" tag to formatting options. This would allow users to strike out text and make corrections or edits without losing the original content. It is suggested that this feature would be particularly useful for students showing their work and for making small corrections without burying them in subsequent posts. It is also mentioned that a comment can be added to explain any edits made without a strike out option. The use of [s][/s] tags in BBCode is proposed as a simple solution for implementing this feature.
sylas
Science Advisor
Would it be possible to add a "strike" tag to formatting tags?

I would like to strike out text; put a line through it. That way, if I find a typo an hour after posting, I can fix it with a strike out and replace, so that people can see what was there originally; particularly if I fix up a typo after people have been reading.

I just had a case where I had to replace "upper bound" with "lower bound". In a case like that, I would normally add strike out around "upper", and then add the correct word.

Cheers -- sylas

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems like a good idea. It can be confusing if someone has edited a post but there are subsequent posts referring to the original content that I've never seen.

I think it would be a good idea too. Sometimes there's something that needs editing, but someone has already replied, but you also don't want the correction buried in another post. It could be useful for other things too, like students showing their homework, especially with the more elementary subjects where it's helpful if they can show cross outs of units or variables they are canceling out while solving a problem.

Of course, keep in mind that if you do need to edit a post, you can write a comment about why you've edited that everyone can see, so without a strike out option, you can still leave a note about what you've changed.

Sounds like a good idea, and is far better than just editting the post.

This is a very easy feature to add in a system that uses BBCode. The [ /s] tags would work well. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature?

The purpose of the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature is to provide a way to visually indicate that a section of text is no longer relevant or has been removed from the original text. This can be useful in editing or revising documents, as well as in creating content for websites or other digital platforms.

2. How does the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature work?

The "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature works by inserting the HTML tag around a selected section of text. This tag will then display the text with a line through it, indicating that it has been struck out or removed from the original version. This tag can be removed or edited as needed to adjust the formatting of the text.

3. Can the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature be used in all types of documents?

Yes, the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature can be used in any document or platform that supports HTML formatting. This includes word processing programs, email platforms, and website editors. However, the functionality of the feature may vary depending on the specific platform being used.

4. Is the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature permanent?

No, the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature is not permanent. The HTML tag can be removed or edited at any time, allowing for flexibility in formatting and revisions. It is important to note that once the tag is removed, the text will no longer display with a strike-through, so it is recommended to save a version of the document with the tag intact if you wish to keep a record of the changes made.

5. Are there any other text formatting options available besides the "Add Strike Tag for Text Formatting" feature?

Yes, there are many other text formatting options available, depending on the platform being used. Some common options include bold, italics, underline, and color changes. Additionally, there may be specific formatting options for different types of documents, such as headings, bullet points, or numbered lists. It is important to familiarize yourself with the specific formatting options available in the platform you are using to ensure the best presentation of your text.