Calculate Weight of Black Hole

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating the weight or mass of a black hole. This includes using a formula that takes into account the black hole's radius and Newton's constant, as well as using the velocity of objects in orbit around the black hole to infer its mass. Google calculator is also mentioned as a helpful tool for these calculations.
sleventh
Hello all,
I am wondering how would you calculate the weight of a black hole?

Space news on Phys.org
Do you mean mass? The weight of an object is the force of gravity between it and another object. That implies your answer, though: you calculate the mass of objects in space by measuring interactions between objects.

sleventh said:
Hello all,
I am wondering how would you calculate the weight of a black hole?

A good way would be to use the google calculator, which knows all the basic constants and units so you don't have to look anything up in a textbook.

A formula for the kilograms of a black hole is:

M = c2R/(2G)

G is Newton's constant, google will automatically put the value in for you if you just type G.
R is the black hole's radius. Let's try an example. Say the radius is one micron. Like a fine grain of dust.

Put this into the google search window:
"c^2*(1 micron)/(2G)"

I just tried it in the google window (omitting the quote marks of course) and it said 6.7e20 kilograms
That means 6.7 x 1020 kilograms.

You can figure out how much that weighs in pounds, if you like that unit, or tons if you prefer. I like thinking in terms of a metric tonne (one thousand kilograms).
This micronsize blackie weighs like 2/3 of a billion billion tonnes. Whew.

excellent thank you very much, the reason i had said weight to begin with was because i was wondering how to calculate the interaction between a black hole and some other object taking into account the gravitational effects of the black hole. Thank you very much marcus, i also was wondering about mass and what equation would be used.
thank you both
sleventh

It's also possible to use the velocity of objects in orbit around a black hole to calculate the mass. If, for example, we are looking at the velocity of the orbits of stars around the center of a galaxy (with a black hole at the center - use the orbit velocities to infer it's presence) then as long as the motion of the stars appears consistent with an orbit then a measurement of their velocity will allow us to calculate the amount of mass interior to the orbit. This is just one of the ways of measuring the interactions between a black hole and other objects as mentioned by russ_watters.

1. How do you calculate the weight of a black hole?

In order to calculate the weight of a black hole, you need to know its mass and the radius of its event horizon. The weight can be calculated using the formula W = (2GM^2) / (c^2 * r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, c is the speed of light, and r is the radius of the event horizon.

2. How do you measure the mass of a black hole?

The mass of a black hole can be measured using a variety of methods, including observing the orbits of stars or gas clouds around the black hole, studying the gravitational lensing effect, and analyzing the emission of X-rays from the accretion disk around the black hole.

3. Can the weight of a black hole change?

Yes, the weight of a black hole can change over time. As the black hole accretes matter from its surroundings, its mass and therefore its weight will increase. Additionally, when black holes merge, their combined mass and weight will be different from their individual masses before the merger.

4. How does the weight of a black hole affect its surroundings?

The weight of a black hole has a strong gravitational pull, which can affect the orbits and movement of nearby objects. The intense gravity of a black hole can also cause tidal forces and distortions in the spacetime fabric.

5. Can the weight of a black hole be compared to the weight of a planet or star?

No, the weight of a black hole cannot be directly compared to the weight of a planet or star. Black holes are unique objects that do not follow the same laws of physics as planets or stars. Their weight is usually measured in terms of solar masses, which is the mass of our Sun. For reference, the heaviest known black hole has a mass of about 66 billion solar masses.